Author Topic: Adopting a Deaf Cocker  (Read 3438 times)

Offline revis

Re: Adopting a Deaf Cocker
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
So good to hear the news about Maisie.Many happy years ahead for you and Maisie.Well done

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
Thank you all so much for all your good wishes.  It's just so nice to have some good news at the moment with what's going on in the world.  Maisie has some funny little habits which remind me so much of my beloved Jazz.  He had a passion for small plant pots and I have been doing some gardening today and she has kept appearing with a plant pot in her mouth, I think there were 6 on the lawn at one stage.  As fast as I picked them up more would appear.  We had a much better night last night, only a wuffle when I put her in the crate and then not a peep out of her.  She does have a strange habit though, she will sit in the middle of the lawn and howl like a wolf, throwing her head right back.  Incredibly loud.  Obviously she can't hear herself, but I do feel for my neighbours.  They definitely know I have a new dog.  Does anyone else's cocker do this.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 06:36:18 AM »
 :lol2: Humphrey used to steal my plant pots and also the little plastic labels I put in with my seedlings! My garden was full of surprises for the first two years!!  :005:
As for sitting in the garden  howling - he‘s only ever done than twice, the first time my sons were dog sitting because we‘d gone away for the evening (first time we‘d left him)  we have noticed that occasionally he‘ll ask to go out in the evening and then he‘ll just sit on the lawn staring into space, he did it yesterday actually, and we have a full moon at the moment.
They do say that wolves howl at the moon, no idea if that‘s true or whether they‘re putting out a call.  :shades: .I suppose its possible that if Maisie has been in a kennel with other dogs, she might be trying to connect to them, as Humphrey did when we weren‘t there, but then I‘d imagine once she‘s settled down with you, that will soon stop. Interesting  :shades:
 :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
Dylan howls in his sleep, but not when he's awake. He'll let out a really heartbreaking howl for about 20 seconds, sometimes it wakes him, sometimes not, and as he sleeps,in the bedroom he wakes me up.

I had five scotties (at the same time), and a couple of times a week we would have a group howl, I would start it off and they all joined in, it was quite sweet really. We were at a highland show once, and they howled at the pipe band as they marched past, it was hilarious. Bagpipes can have that effect  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
I’m absolutely delighted for you Andrea and what a lucky girl Maisie is to have found you  :luv:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 05:20:34 AM »
I’m absolutely delighted for you Andrea and what a lucky girl Maisie is to have found you  :luv:

She is Jayne and I feel so lucky to have her.  I despaired of finding another cocker.  As you know I do not drive so the prospect of travelling to say Surrey to see a dog is completely out of the question for me.  I knew it did not make any sense for me to have a puppy at my stage of life and with the current situation regarding dogs it began to seem impossible.  With the help of some very dear friends Maisie and I have found each other.  Several friends and COL members have said it was fate and I have to say maybe it was, (me knowing the full circumstances surrounding Maisie's potential adoption).  A case of being in the right place at the right time I think.  She was already called Maisie and I have decided to keep her name, even though she would not know if I changed it, as it really suits her.  She is proving to be quite a character with some very amusing little ways.  Hopefully I can change her life for the better and she will certainly change mine. 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
Everyone is so happy for you both, do keep giving us updates on this special wee girl, and maybe a piccie sometime  :luv:

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Isn't it strange how these things happen.  When we were without dogs, and not looking, we were contacted about Daisy and asked if we would take her on.  If that hadn't happened, we may still be without a dog.  Really looking forward to sharing her progress, I love reading your updates. 

Offline Gromit

• Site Member
  • Always look up.
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »
Hello Andy, I've not been on COL for a little while so only just seen your posts. It's wonderful you have found your lovely girl and great to hear all is going so well. Just wanted to say that I had a working type cocker from a pup who was born deaf, and it took a little while to realise she was.
I used clear hand signals which she got the hang of quickly, she always "checked in" with me if out off-lead somewhere she could run around safely so I rewarded her a lot indoors whenever she looked at me, and every time she came up to me outside/in the garden, to reinforce her keeping contact.
She's at the bridge now but was a super dog, so intelligent and loving. Have a lovely life with your new friend!