Author Topic: Wireless Networking  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Wireless Networking
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:13:27 AM »
Big Jim & Kate might be able to help on this one:

OH has aquired a Laptop, nothing fancy, just for some course work he needs to do and I thought it would be quite a good idea to set up Wireless Networking. Now, I don't want my Desktop PC to be wireless, just the laptop.
It's a Dell Latitude CPX H500GT. There isn't a network card in it at the moment just the empty slot. I'm on Blueyonder Broadband and from what I can see the Belkin Router seems to be compatible, but what do I need for the Laptop and how do I know I'm buying the right kind of card for it, or will any standard one fit.

As you are probaby aware I haven't got a clue what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated  :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Wireless Networking
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:36:45 AM »
Steve's away in Bratislava til tomorrow but he loves wireless networking and knows dell comps inside out.

If you don't get sorted by then, I'm sure he'd love to help.

We are fully set up. In fact I'm in bed on my PDA at the moment which is why I don't say a lot at this time of night! We can even use internet in the garden (when it's not raining!)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
Hi Gilly, I use a Wireless connection on my laptop, it also doesn't have a internal wireless card.

I had to buy a wireless router, and a wireless network card to slot into the laptop. It was mega easy, as soon as i had plugged in the connectionts it started working. I was also able to access files from the main PC.  They had provided a cd to install, but I didn't even need that.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:09:12 AM »
Thanks guys, yeah it's the slot in card I've looked at and the wireless router. I'm just not 100% sure which card is compatible with the laptop and don't want to by one, neither do I want to buy one from the Dell website  :D 'cos I'm stingy  :005:
Also can I use both the laptop and PC at the same time???

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »
Morning  :D

Is your router a wireless one ? There should be an aerial coming out the back. If not your going to need a wireless router

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18128110114&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48546

Your really do need a Router as it makes life soooo much easier than peer to peer over wireless.

For the lappy you need a PCMCIA card or USB stick - Pro's and cons.... The USB stick is good as you can fit it to a lappy or pc but I find the signal isn't as good as the PCMCIA card.
Id go with the below - Fitted one a few weeks ago with the same router as above (For my Boss :005: So its not bad stuff)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18128235727&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46056

Getting it all working is not too bad, not too go into it too much But the two biggest prob people have are:

1: The ISP has the MAC address of your computer and when you plug in a router its different and the connection wont work But most routers can be programmed with any Mac address and then it should just work as your fooling the ISP.

2: Setting up WEP which is the security which stops other people using your internet connection, its not difficult but people just don’t do it....Nasty people could be sat outside your house or even next door and be downloading illegal or illicit material with out you ever knowing.

You are responsible for your internet connection and its security and in theory you could be prosecuted for the download of this material.

It is easy but must be done right so dont let me put you off.
If you need any info let me know.

Oh yeah you can use the lappy and PC at the same time ;)

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »
Thanks that's a big help  ;) I'm with Blueyonder Broadband and no it isn't a wireless router it's a Motorola Surboard Cable Modem? Does the wireless router plug in the back of the cable modem?
And now you've made me worry that I might lose my entire internet connection if I start mucking about with the mac address  :-\ ph34r

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 12:00:41 PM »
The modem will plug into the back of the router, you wont loose your internet connection if its setup right ;)

If you are going for that model Ill sort out a quick setup guide for you.
You'll prob have it running in 15 mins.

Jim

NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
Hi Gilly

We've got 2 computers here and the main desktop is wireless downstairs and the broadband modem and wireless router is upstairs in the office.

I had to open the desk top comp up  ph34r and insert the receiver thingy (with the aeriel) and then install the software.

We were up n running in 20 mons...both pcs working at 2mg  :lol:

Im def not good with technical things but if I can do it anyone can!

Janey

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »
I'm still waiting on the equipment to arrive, I'll let you know how I get on with the help of Big Jim  :D ;)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 11:18:26 AM »
Same here, my computer is plugged in directly to the Blueyonder modem, we then have a wireless router, with another 2 desktops and my laptop running off, wireless.

So if I can do it too, you will do it no trouble.  :D

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
Jim just to let you know I have now bought the WGR614 and it should be here on Wednesday. Also, the kids have a HP Vectra VL400 running Windows 98SE will they also be able to join the wireless network as I have a spare wireless USB? Or will it be easier to upgrade them to XP. Not sure if that PC could handle it 500mhz and only 128mb ram (which I am thinking of upgrading)?

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 11:07:01 AM »
You should be able to use the usb stick with the pc but it depends on weather it is a USB 1.1 or 2... If the usb ports in your PC are v1.1 and the stick is v2 its not going to work. If this is the case you have three options
1. PCI wireless network card - about £10
2. Usb v2 pci card - About £20
3. New PC  :D

I would go for the Wireless network card as they are easy enough to fit But we must make sure it will run on windows 98.

I run XP on my 450mhz 128meg Lappy and its fine, but I only do net surfing and word processing on it. Anything more and it would stuggle.

I would leave 98 on for the moment but make sure its got its own firewall, virus sofware and has all the updates installed.

Jim
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 10:27:07 PM »
Hi Jim,

well I was bored today and ended up bringing the base unit downstairs and connecting it up to my Broadband etc. It's actually 633mhz so a little bit better than I thought. I put the XP disc in and analised and it said there were a few issues, nothing major just printer drivers etc so I upgraded  :P All went well and I've updated the anti-virus, enable windows firewall and made sure all correct drivers etc are in place and done all the relevant windows updates. It's not running as fast as it was on 98 but it seems to be handling XP pretty well, especially with 128mb ram as my one's running 1 gig it seems much quicker.

I've ordered another memory card to double the memory so it will run a little bit quicker. the USB stick is a Netgear MA111 which is actually usb 1.1 and 802.11b so it won't be as quick as the 802.11g for the laptop but it's supposed to be compatible with WGR614 so once everything is here I'll let you know and hopefully we can get the whole house up and running  :D :shades:

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »
All sounds good to me.

Jim
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue