Author Topic: Wireless Router  (Read 1539 times)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Wireless Router
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »
I have been looking at a wireless router for my broadband so that my daughter and I can both surf at the same time. Both my desk top and laptop are already wirelss enabled. Can anyone recommend a router? Is it worth getting the 108 kbps over the 54 kbps?

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
Re: Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:57:31 PM »
you will not notice the difference between 54G and 108G Karen the speeds are 54MBs and 108MBs respectivly (MBs = Mega Bits per second), the fastest broadband connections are only 10 MBs and most internet sites cant manage 1 MBs.
If you can get a good deal on a 108G then go ahead but unless you plan on having a dozen wireless pc's and have a super fast internet connection i doubt you will ever make use of the bandwidth.
I have a Belkin Wireless Router and cant complain, it has a reasonable firewall built in and allows me to restrict the access times (my eldest would be up all night every night if i didnt) it has no facility to restrict access to 'suspect sites' or log access, but this is not a problem for me as far as i know!
I have used Dlink and also a linksys products in the past and i cant say that any of them stands out above the others they all have their good and bad points. Make sure to get an ADSL router if you connect via your telephone line or a Cable router if you are on cable internet.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »
Thanks -  I thought that would be the answer but wanted to be sure. I think I'm going to go for either Netgear or Belkin - depends which has the better offer  ;)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 03:53:20 PM »
Hi Karen

We got a Linksys Wireless G (??!!) from PC World.

Whereas we are  reasonably well up on techi things we have had to seek help from the helpline of Linsys - I have got to say that they were absolutely BRILL !!!  It was a freephone number as well.  Best bit of customer service that we have had in ages !!

Well recommended - they are not patronising either, unlike when I have had to contact my broadband supplier  ::)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 03:55:30 PM »
Had Netgear - now got Belkin Its great !!!!

really easy and smaller unit.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »
I've got a Netgear WGR614 54mps. It's great, never had a problem with it and was very easy to set up. Also compatible with 11mps which is good as the girls PC takes a wireless 11mps USB (also Netgear) we've also got laptops with a Netgear 54mps PCMCIA card and also one with a Linskys (same spec) all work well together.
Ebuyer is quite a good place for Routers etc but I bought mine off Ebay  ;) This is the router I've got http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/48546 Ebuyer is geart even if you don't buy from there because I like to read all the reviews  ;)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
We've just upgraded to the 108mbps Dlink wireless router. It is definately better than the 54mbps one we had before....

Its great!

We've got a USB adapter thingy too for my very old laptop which is now being used regularly again for surfing!

Janey

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 01:57:07 PM »
Thanks  :D

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
I've got a Netgear WGR614 54mps. It's great, never had a problem with it and was very easy to set up. Also compatible with 11mps which is good as the girls PC takes a wireless 11mps USB (also Netgear) we've also got laptops with a Netgear 54mps PCMCIA card and also one with a Linskys (same spec) all work well together.
Ebuyer is quite a good place for Routers etc but I bought mine off Ebay  ;) This is the router I've got http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/48546 Ebuyer is geart even if you don't buy from there because I like to read all the reviews  ;)

Apart from the last sentence, that was complete gobbledygook to me Gilly  :005:

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
I bought the Netgear WGR614 54 mps. It was so easy to install and it's great. I would definately recommend.  :D