Author Topic: and another one  (Read 1838 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
and another one
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
does anyone know how to back up microsoft outlook so that if I wiped my PC and reloaded it from disk I could save my contacts and saved emails?

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
Re: and another one
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »
Hubby steps in again! Can you let me know what version of Outlook you have though please? Go to Helo and click on About, hubby will then be able to help, he's done it often enough!  :005:

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »
Its Microsoft Outlook 2002  :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:18:28 PM »
Will be watching the response with interest.  I asked my computer boffin brother & he completely baffled me, I got bored half way through and stopped listening  ph34r

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
that doesn't sound good  :huh:

Offline michaelp

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
Hmmm, you *should* just be able to grab the data files from your PC, copy them to CD/flash pen drive, then copy them back again to the new install and do File (menu) > Open ... (menu option) > Outlook Data File (menu option).  You can see where your current data files are stored by going to Tools (menu) > Options (menu option) > Mail Setup (tab) > Data Files (button) - they will have the file extension of ".pst", so probably Outlook.pst.   For extra peace of mind, you can export the info you are most worried about losing using File (menu) > Import and Export ... (menu option) > Export to a file, you can then see everything you have exported as say an Excel spreadsheet.

If it is just to fix a problem with your PC though, you should be able to use the Windows Repair option on your Windows install disk and that will leave your data intact. 

Were it me, I would consider adding a second hard drive (they're cheap as chips), doing your new install on that, then copying files across at my leisure (while also having a backup to return to should something unforeseen happen).  If you're not sure about that, though, you might want to consider checking for a local PC technician (cheaper and less of a skill-lottery than PC World) and have them do it for the sake of peace of mind ...

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:36:25 PM »
I'll get back to soon!  :D It depends on which version exactly what you do apparently!  ;)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »
Just had an email back from OH, he's not used 2002 so doesn't know exactly what to do off the top of his head but he says if you look at their help pages (http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/FX100647211033.aspx?CTT=96&Origin=CL100626971033 ) he'll have a look later whilst he's installing Office for me!  :D

Offline j-u-l-e-s

• Site Member
  • Lirah
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
Here is a usefull website with screen shots
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/kis/docs/outlook/archivebackup-xp.htm
I use outlook express which is easier to replace and backup the emails within windows XP documents and settings. But that webpage is usefull.
Ž––––•Jűlęz•––––Ž