Author Topic: Wireless router  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Wireless router
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
 Youngest son (aged almost 14) says getting a wireless router would stop all computer arguments in our house!

He could (apparently) use his laptop on line and his PS3 on line without having to use the main computer - thereby freeing it up for me to be on here and his dad to check emails etc whenever he wants!!!

Is it really that simple?

I must admit that when he is doing "computer stuff" -whether homework or playing games, I find it frustrating if I get a whim to check out COL or anything else and I have to wait for him to finish.

But, don't believe it could be that straight forward that you just buy one, plug it in and off you go......

Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Wireless router
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
In principle, yes - but.......wireless can be a bit temperamental, especially in older houses where walls/floors are quite thick and can limit the signal, so you can end up frustrated cos you lose connection halfway through surfing/e-mailing  >:(

Security is a really important part of a wireless network - without it, neighbours and passersby can 1) use your internet connection, and 2) eavesdrop on your internet communications such a bank details, passwords and the like.

Setting it up can be a challenge - especially if you have multiple devices......but once it works, it can open up a whole new world  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
We have wireless, and it was really easy to set up.  A Belkin N Wireless Router, all set up in 5 minutes including security, password protected etc.  one of the easiest ones we've ever had.  We have 3 desktops, 2 laptops, 1 PS3, PSP and a Wii all running off it and have never lost connection.

We live in an older type house with thick concrete walls with metal reinforcing, and normally don't get a very good signal here, but this works just great.

I would say go for it, best thing we ever did, no more wires lying around the house.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »
I am sitting on my sofa with my laptop on my lap. OH is playing on his PS3 online. Upstairs I have my PC wired into the router so OH can go up there to work if he wants. I cant imagine life without a wireless router these days.

It really is pretty simple to set up - especially if you download some instructions from the internet, and PCs these days are really set up for it.

As Rachel says, security is important, so make sure you password protect etc.

Go for it. They are pretty cheap so you havent lost too much if it doesnt work out!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Tattydi

• Always in my heart Max RIP 21.01.09
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
best thing you could do, security stops anyone else using.  we have an old house 18" thick walls but still manage with brill signal, we have three laptops going most of the time and visitors can add to it with a security code.  we had 5 working off it at the weekend.
Love Diane x

missing my cocker kisses and cuddles :(

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
We have a wireless router and live in a pre ww2 house, it has 2 computeres hard wired to it and three lap tops one desk top we use as on the tv a ps2, 2psp's and a wii oh also has a pda which uses it and a wireless printer admited they aren't all on at once but we have had no set up probs, ocasionaly we lose conection but not often enough to be a pain. Security encription is vital. Ours is only a cheap belkin router.

Offline GillSarge

• Harley, Chester, Flint & Benson
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »
Go for it, wireless will end all arguments.  We're totally wireless here, husband is even working while I have a laptop surfing COL  :005:

Offline Ibecks

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
Choose a good quality brand such as Linksys or Netgear.

Ensure you purchase the correct type of router to match your internet provider.

Obviously any connecting device will need to have a wireless network adapter, unless it's already built in.

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:55:37 AM »
Choose a good quality brand such as Linksys or Netgear.

Netgear in use and no problems at all

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:27:41 AM »
We use wireless and have a Dlink router...its fab...

All of our on line things are wireless.... the main PC, laptops, Xboxes, I hook up mobile fones and ipods to it too....No wires round the house and no problems at all.

Make sure you get the router tha suits your broadband tho - ASDSL needs a different type to Cable...

Janey

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
Penny
Richard will sort this all out for you if you want. :D
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk