Author Topic: Wireless Printer help please.  (Read 1537 times)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Wireless Printer help please.
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
Dad is having a 'nightmare' with his new wireless printer. >:D

Does anyone know if an Epson SX515W needs to be plugged in to the router to do remote printing off the laptop? He can only get it to print with an A to B cable, but I'm not sure if he has full installed the printer properly  :-\
Does a 'wireless' printer need to remain attached to the router? Or can it be positioned anywhere in the house?

Thanks
sam
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Wireless Printer help please.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
We sometimes have problems with our firewall blocking our wireless printer, it may be that he needs to set something to say that it is a trusted ip address etc.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline seaangler

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
Nope thats the whole ideal of a wireless printer...(i to have a Epson down staires with the full works on it and the only wire is to the scoket for the fax machine,only needs plugging into the maines..Like you say i don't think he has followed the instructions enough...I would tell him to to follow the instructions again..He should have a disk to load down the drivers for the new printer and then wizered should help him along with conecting it up...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
I don't have a wireless printer, but do print wirelessly (iyswim) and can do so because the printer has a cable running to the router.  
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »
I have this trouble in the past and had to re-install the printer software.  It worked fine after I did that.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
It sounds like he needs to follow the instruction to get the printer connected to the wireless network. There is a guide on the Epson website

http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-SX515W/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=1763

The printer will need to be connected using the USB A-B cable during the setup process to enter network settings, such as the SSID and security key or pass-phrase. Once this is setup, it should work without the USB cable.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy