Author Topic: spyware  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
spyware
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
I seem to have picked up some spyware  >:D it wants me to buy spyware protection 2010  >:D It has blocked my system restore and other programs. My PC is running slow  >:D My McAfee allowed it on my pc  >:D >:D any ideas on how to remove this it seems to have named its self Defender (Not windows Defender)
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: spyware
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
If you Google spyware protection 2010 there are lots of sites with removal instructions.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
I don't know whether this will help, but I use it regularly to clean my laptop - don't know whether it will help with the spyware, but it will definitely clean up your internet files and delete temporary files (also its free).

If you rely on IE to remember you passwords make sure you uncheck the delete passwords bit. 

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

The link is under the heading
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :banana: I have removed it this is how i did it

Press f8 on system reboot to enter safe mode
Right click on spyware protection go to properties
Open file location
Send file to recycle bin
Empty recycle bin
Reboot computer

:banana: :banana: It worked  :banana: :banana:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
If you haven't already I'd download and run Malwarebytes anti-malware (which is free) and make sure you've got rid of everything as it's likely there's still remnants on your PC that can bring the malware back. 

I don't have a very high opinion of McAfee having managed on a large number of PCs as it managed to let spyware slip through quite a few times and failed to stop a virus outbreak that another AV product on a similar number of PCs stopped immediately.

John

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
I had something very similar last weekend - called itself System Tools and took over my whole system.  It managed to de-activate AVG.  I used the Malwarebytes anti-malware as well which got rid of the thing thankfully.  Was quite disturbing how it took over everything with big messages saying that my computer wasn't protected unless I bought their anti-virus software.  Luckily I have another laptop which I could look it up and find out how to deal with it.  Sneaky thing disguised itself as a Flash update  >:D

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
I had something very similar last weekend - called itself System Tools and took over my whole system.  It managed to de-activate AVG.  I used the Malwarebytes anti-malware as well which got rid of the thing thankfully.  Was quite disturbing how it took over everything with big messages saying that my computer wasn't protected unless I bought their anti-virus software.  Luckily I have another laptop which I could look it up and find out how to deal with it.  Sneaky thing disguised itself as a Flash update  >:D
My daughter's just got this on her laptop.  >:D 
How did you use the malwarebytes anti-malware? We can't get anything to run on her laptop as it says everything is infected and blocks it all. :dunno: 

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:02 AM »
If you have another computer - look up System Tools - it will take you to various locations to give you instructions on how to remove.

I downloaded the Malware software from this site - the bit where it says "official mirror" is the bit you click on.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

The instructions to remove
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=66064

In a nutshell, you need to download the software on to a memory stick if you have it on another computer (don't install just yet).
Shut down infected computer and restart in safe mode (continuously pressing F8 when you start up).  It will allow you to use your computer without the virus blocking you, then load the Malware software, if it prompts to download a newer version accept (I didn't and it didn't work the first time).

Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of this nasty without losing anything on the computer.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
Thank you.  :D  I had tried to do it by loading software from a memory stick, but it was blocking that as well.  >:D  I'll try again in safe mode. The laptop has all my daughter's college work on it, so hopefully she won't lose it.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
Definitely has to be in safe mode, the only way it will work. :D