Author Topic: A brand new laptop..  (Read 2119 times)

Offline seaangler

A brand new laptop..
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
JohnMcL7

If you pick this post up...

I have almost a brand new laptop the Guaranty has jest run out and all i have on it is loads of pictures and a bit of video of are horses at the events we go to...I down loaded  some HD video of are horse at Kegiston hall we went to back in the summer...

And the lap top does load up at all...I took it to a computer to a repairer and he has said the mother board is gone....What i can not understand all its had is just pictures and a bit of video put on it..for a almost brand new computer....Mother boards just dont give up like that...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline JohnMcL7

Re: A brand new laptop..
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »
What model of laptop is it and where did you buy it from?

It is possible for motherboards to just go because they have so many different bits integrated into them now and if any one of those bits goes wrong, that tends to be the end of the motherboard working as it's not possible to replace the components on the motherboard itself.  I have seen it happen in reasonably new machines and it's one of the most common failures in laptops at work, it's a pricey repair as it's a custom part and you need to dismantle the entire machine to fit it.

However that doesn't make it acceptable at all and you have rights under the sale of goods act through the retailer (assuming it's a UK retailer and not the like of Play) that the product should last a reasonable amount of time (technically up to six years but it varies on the product), clearly lasting just over a year is not acceptable.  It is the retailer's responsibility to resolve this although they won't do so willingly, depending on the retailer you should be able to find useful information on how people have approached such a claim.

When you say it doesn't load up at all, what exactly happens when you press power on the laptop?

John

Offline seaangler

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
Its a H.Ppavilian dv6000

Its as spotless as the day i brought it..Not one mark on it...

It just around in circles...and will NoT load up even the battery will not charge up..

The lap top gareney has expired ages ago...

I am on the verge of pouring coffee over it with extra suger... ;)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Yomper

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
a dv6000 is a decent laptop and you may even be able to get some help as someone has mentioned. if its say 18months sometimes over 2 years old in some cases you may still be able to get it fixed as it has to be fit for purpose. if you still have the receipt and or paid by credit card you may be able to go through that if they wont help.

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:48:42 AM »
I'm sorry for some reason I didn't see your reply when I've been checking here, I didn't think there had been any.

The warranty that comes with the laptop is in addition to your legal rights so just because the warranty expired after 12 months doesn't mean you have no comeback as goods such as laptops are expected to last longer than a year.  The maximum is six years in England and five years in Scotland although not all goods are expected to last that long, it varies on the product.

Did the repair shop give you a quote for replacing the motherboard?  Do you know if it is the Nvidia card you have in your laptop? (should be a sticker to the bottom right of the keyboard).  There seems to be quite a few of these laptops around that develop a problem with the Nvidia graphics card which is integrated into the motherboard so if that fails then the entire motherboard needs replaced.  There are some sites showing how to fix the issue or do it themsleves using a heat gun on the graphics card but I wouldn't go for one of these fixes, they're not really fixing the issue and instead just delaying the issue until it happens again.

John

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »
Cheers JohnMcL7 ...Ill try it and see what happens.

Thanks for your help...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy