Author Topic: Aol Email  (Read 4703 times)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Aol Email
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:24:57 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a problem with AOL at the moment? I've been trying to send emails to two AOL addresses for the past couple of days but they keep getting bounced back to me. :unsure:
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Aol Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:42:09 AM »
Mine seems to be ok.....

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Aol Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:12:55 AM »
Actually I'm a bit worried that its just me!!! I'm not on AOL I hasten to add.

I have been having trouble sending email to my parents who have a btopenworld account. The emails I send to them don't get bounced back to me but they don't receive them either :unsure:

Now these two friends of mine on AOL are not receiving either - but at least theirs get bounced back to me.

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Aol Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:30:52 AM »
I'm pm'd you :)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Aol Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »
I'm on AOL and have no poblem with other AOL email addresses.

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Aol Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm on AOL and my Aunt tried to send me an email this morning which bounced back to her!!
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Aol Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »
There have been some instances in the past where AOL have been over-zealous in categorising email as SPAM.  What is the text of the bounced messages? Is there any specific mention of why they have been rejected?

The BTOPENWORLD problem is rather more concerning. I've not heard of any specific issues and I would tend to think of them as being one of the higher quality ISPs. However if emails are not getting through and you have no indication at your end that they've failed, it maybe worth speaking to BT tech support about it.

My favourite email provider at the moment is Yahoo. They offer a large capacity inbox with SPAM filtering and forwarding.  The email is accessible via the web or using a standard POP client such as Outlook or Eudora.  They also have an SMTP server so you can send emails using a 3rd party email program via their service too.  All this for free. Can't be bad!  

It maybe worthwhile setting up a spare email account that you can use for test purposes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Aol Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »
There have been some instances in the past where AOL have been over-zealous in categorising email as SPAM.  What is the text of the bounced messages? Is there any specific mention of why they have been rejected?

The BTOPENWORLD problem is rather more concerning. I've not heard of any specific issues and I would tend to think of them as being one of the higher quality ISPs. However if emails are not getting through and you have no indication at your end that they've failed, it maybe worth speaking to BT tech support about it.

My favourite email provider at the moment is Yahoo. They offer a large capacity inbox with SPAM filtering and forwarding.  The email is accessible via the web or using a standard POP client such as Outlook or Eudora.  They also have an SMTP server so you can send emails using a 3rd party email program via their service too.  All this for free. Can't be bad! 

It maybe worthwhile setting up a spare email account that you can use for test purposes.
[snapback]114117[/snapback]

Hi Steve thanks for your reply it was very interesting. The text of the bounced messages was a newsletter about Simon's polar race which we have been doing every month to friends and family with photos and news on it. They've never bounced before but I can see why they might get picked on as potential spam.

As for the btopenworld problem...yes, it is worrying. It also means that I can't email my parents and since we live a long way apart that is the easiest way for me to send photos etc to them. I think you are right - that they need to speak to tech support at their end - trouble is they are even less technically minded than me and would struggle with it I think! :rolleyes: I might ask my brother to have a look for them I think. Its weird though because I can receive emails from them with no problem at all.

I already have a yahoo account although my service provider is cwgsy (Cable & Wireless Guernsey). I can give that a whirl!

Thanks for the advice! I'm lost on the pc without Simon in earshot!

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Aol Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 11:12:56 PM »
The text of the bounced messages was a newsletter about Simon's polar race which we have been doing every month to friends and family with photos and news on it. They've never bounced before but I can see why they might get picked on as potential spam.
I actually meant was there any error message on the email that came back, but yes it's possible that if you're sending to a large list of people, possibly using BCC?? that AOL may think they're spam.

You might like to try sending the AOL ones as a separate list?
Live Long and Prosper!