Author Topic: Itchy Cocker...  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Barry H

Itchy Cocker...
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:21:09 AM »
Jack's had an itchy skin for about a month or so.  He'll have a good scratch roughly every 15 mins, normally a back leg on the ribs kind of scratch.  He's had his flea treatments and has a daily 20 min grooming which is becoming a bit stressful for him.  He's his normal self otherwise with a normal appetite.  There are no tell-tale signs of fleas or ticks and no redness or bald patches, though he has lost a bit of hair from his belly where he scratches.  He's on Millie's and I've started him on Yumega Itchy Dog about a week ago but no improvement yet...

I think it annoys me more than him!  Will of course take him to the vet if no improvement soon, but anyone any idea what the cause is?  I'm thinking it's a pollen allergy perhaps.  Anything else I can do to help him?

Spent ages on Google, but it's more confusing than helpful, so I've come to the Oracle...

Offline pam1

• Donator
Re: Itchy Cocker...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
My Ollie is quite an itchy dog and had allergy tests done and was found to be allergic to things like Timothy grass and fungal spores.  We tried him in a course of immunotherapy injections but he became quite stressed with them so we stopped them

After loads of research we found a lot of good reviews for Dermacton spray from Aromesse, which is completely natural.     It is brilliant stuff and Ollie hardly ever scratches now, we spray him daily in the pollen season but a lot less at other times of the year.

Hopefully this will help your Jack, I know how you feel because Ollie used to drive me mad with his scratching - especially in the night!
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Could it be Harvest Mites? It's the right time of year for them.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:25 PM »
Pam - that's brilliant, thanks!  I notice that Dermacton also comes in a shampoo bar which might be a good idea to start with - he could do with a bath!  Will order the spray too, just in case... 

Sod's Law, but as always I want stuff on a Friday evening.  Ordering from Aromesse takes a while although the prices are a bit cheaper.  Amazon have both for delivery tomorrow - at a price.  This stuff better work! (though mainly positive reviews has to be said).

Thanks very much for the recommendation. 

Elaine - your note popped up as I was about to post.  Could very well be.  Jack spends a lot of time rummaging about in long grass, etc. when we're out.  Let's hope a good bath/spray sorts him out...

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
 Well, it certainly worked for us, but they do give a money back guarantee if it doesn't.   Delivery is always very quick direct from Aromess.  Let us know if it helps Jack  :D
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
Archie has this problem every year. It used to be much worse and would create large sore patches which were a nightmare. Allergy tests flagged up a lot of things in food and now he is on a fish and potato diet which has really helped a LOT.

It doesn’t help with the harvest though, which is happening now so he is mildly itchy again at the moment. This year I’ve been trying non-stinky stuff. I am adding a small amount to his food but when he was quite bad last week I shampooed him with it. He also had the small beginnings of a sore spot that he was licking like mad so I put it directly on it and it cleared up really fast. That’s the first time I have managed to stop it in its tracks without having to resort to steroids from the Vet so I’m pretty happy. His fur is also really really soft since I’ve been putting it in his food. I would say that the packaging is rubbish though. It is essentially an oil but comes in a large screw top tub. A bottle would be easier. I managed to spill it everywhere this morning  >:( so Ive transferred it into a bottle with a pump dispenser. Much easier!

This is what I bought. https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/products/dog-non-stinky-trial-pack/

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
Pam - Thanks.  Yes, just waiting for Amazon before donning my wet suit/helmet/gloves and get Jack in the shower...  Will certainly post an update later.

Archie bean - Very much appreciate your recommendation.  Having just forked out for some Yumega Itchy Dog and spent £40 (inc £6 next day delivery  :o) for the above shampoo/spray I'll have to give them first crack!  Good to know it worked for you and that there's something else in the arsenal to try if all else fails.

Weirdly, the little tyke's been not so bad this morning...

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
Kez had this itching for 3 or 4 years on the trot, seemed to be at this time of year but the last year it wasn't stopping..........after trying lost of suggestion from everyone on here I stopped giving her anything made by "Pedigree" she seems to have been free for over a year now   (hope I haven't spoken too soon)   For treats she either has Morrison's gravy bones of strips of dried chicken that I cut into small pieces.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Barry H

Re: Itchy Cocker... UPDATE!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »
Well, day 4 update, for the record, as promised.

Amazon order arrived Sunday, so into the shower with a none too enthusiastic Jack.  Aromesse recommend spot testing first, but didn't find that out till afterwards.  Had no problems.  Used the Dermacton shampoo as per instructions (the bit about spot testing is at the bottom, so missed it...)  Comes in a hard, not unpleasant smelling bar.  Jack moaned like mad, shower hose a bit too short, and I ended up almost doing my back in - but it works!

Gone from scratching every 10-20 mins to (almost) zero.  So far so good.  Having a good scratch behind the ear now and again doesn't count.  Have the spray on standby, but (so far) haven't needed it.

For info, shampoo bar contains no soap.  Lathers up quickly and should be left on for around 5 mins.  Still looks unused and although not cheap, I've no doubt it will last years.  It does have a strong 'clean' smell that even the original wrappng and a couple of plastic food bags doesn't mask.

Fingers crossed, job jobbed.  Am now a convert to Dermacton/Aromesse.  It's a pleasant change when products work rather than wasting money.  Just hoping his feathering grows back quickly (he has/had lovely feathering on his tum that he's self-stripped with scratching).  Will use up the Yumega Itchy Dog, but this takes a while to 'kick in' anyway.  Difficult to tell at this stage if it's helping.  Given the price, I'm hoping so.  After that I'll try Archie bean's suggestion of the non-stinky stuff.

**Bonus - it's also cleared up some dry skin on my hands!

Many thanks again to both Pam and Archie bean for the suggestions.  You both rock!

Linky (Aromesse are cheaper than Amazon): https://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/Dermacton_Shampoo_Bar.html

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
Yay! That's great news, so pleased it's worked for you 😀.   I also use their deodorising spritzer on my other cocker, Poppy.   This makes her dandruff disappear and makes her coat really soft.

It's great that something natural, with no chemicals actually works 😊
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
Heads up to all of you who use the Dermacton products.
Aromesse have a Black Friday deal, buy 3 for 2 so quite a good time to stock up!
Pam, Oliver and Bertie