Author Topic: Another Anal Gland Question  (Read 1264 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Another Anal Gland Question
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
Humphrey scoots on his bottom occasionally and although I keep the surrounding hair short, the skin around the anus does seem to get dirty, I usually have to soak it with wet cotton wool to soften the dirt and then I remove it with baby oil and  apply a baby cream. He‘s raw fed and his stools are usually ok so I don‘t really know where the „dirt“ deposits come from. Could it be the stuff thats coming out of the glands and if so, is it normal? I‘ve also  have a suspicion  lately that he seems to do more often if he‘s had any sort of chews, - he only gets natural dried skin -( what is sold here as Cow‘s head skin)  or ears. Anyone any thoughts on this?
I‘ve read so much online and I know there’s been loads on here about anal glands and I’ve studied all the threads but I‘m still confused and not quite sure  what to do. Does scooting always mean there is a problem and should I always go to the vet and have them emptied? Or is it just an attempt by the dog  to empty them that subsequently works? From what I gather, the more they’re done manually, the more likely they won‘t empty themselves, so I am reluctant to keep going to the vet as I know he‘ll do it whether they really need it or not. .
I don‘t really get the impression he‘s in any great discomfort but would hate to overlook anything or ignore any pain .  Sounds a really stupid question, but those of you whose dogs do have problems, how do you know when they need attention? Never had this problem with any of my previous dogs. Thanks!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Another Anal Gland Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
Hi Jayne

Not really got a solution, just to say Ollie did this a while back and I went off to the vets as area was red and swollen....result abcess.  After it cleared up I saw a lady vet who suggested a change of diet and  said that the nurse would empty his gland every few month if required, well next time he went for his yearly vacs, he was fine.  So a change of diet worked for me.  Just one thing the glands usually have a pongy smell when full - I am sure you would have noticed it.

I can't say I have the problem with him getting dirty back there - while he is black,white and tan that area is light coloured so I would see ;) but for me the change of food seemed to do the trick

Copied this of KC Normal anal gland fluid ranges from yellow to tan in colour and is watery in consistency. Impacted anal gland material is usually brown or grey, and thick with the occasional presence of blood or pus indicating infection

Hope someone comes along to help with answers

Hugs to Hump
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
Gemma symptom ( before we took a peek) was struggling to pooh. Sometimes she took 7 or 8 squats before completing her job. when we took a peek Her bottom was black / bruised looking. Her glands were infected. If Humphrey is scooting, is it possible the dirt is dried  blood from the scooting.   
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
Maddie has lots of trouble with her glands as one is misaligned. She doesn't empty them naturally. She doesn't always scoot when they are irritating her but she tries to gnaw at her back legs, licks her underneath  and looks like she isn't sitting comfortably.  >:(
Bramble's glands empty themselves quite regularly   :005:  it's interesting you talk about deposits.....Bramble always has a smell around her back end and although it's not the normal fishy gland smell, I don't know where it comes from and I often wipe her.
I believe certain foods can aggravate gland problems so maybe the chew bothers Humphrey.
Do you ever smell the glands emptying themselves? If so they are doing their job, I think. Never been to have Brambles emptied.
I remember the breeder saying that the glands are not supposed to be fully emptied, which is what vets do. As soon as they are emptied they fill up again. A little of the liquid should be expelled with the stool .
If they are emptied too often then it can cause problems, but if they don't empty themselves,  owners have no choice really.
Maddie has hers done about every eight weeks. The vet did say some dogs come weekly ! Then they start discussing surgery but it is a last resort.
If he is scooting a lot then maybe they need emptying, but Bramble will often scoot after she has emptied her bowels. If Maddie does scoot then it can be any time of day and not related to her toilet habits!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »
Jett scoots (outside) sometimes after he has emptied his bowels, especially if its not solid. I think this is more that he doesn't want a dirty bottom. Its his way of cleaning himself.
Maybe that's what Humphrey is trying to do.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »

Jett scoots (outside) sometimes after he has emptied his bowels, especially if its not solid. I think this is more that he doesn't want a dirty bottom. Its his way of cleaning himself.
Maybe that's what Humphrey is trying to do.

Thank you everyone!! All your replies were really helpful, I am beginning to think that‘s what it must be, and that the deposit is infact  impacted dirt from the scooting,  it doesn‘t smell and he doesn‘t do it continually, so maybe it is just his normal way of trying to stay clean. It does sound, from what you’ve said, that an occasional scoot is common, which is reassuring. I shall definately monitor the chews more closely and see if there is indeed any connection. Thanks again! 👍