Author Topic: Willow is going blind and has swollen breasts  (Read 1704 times)

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Willow is going blind and has swollen breasts
« on: September 05, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
Willow is four and a half now and she has ongoing eye problems following operations for cornea ulcers, distichiasis and
entropian and has since been having drops for dry eye.  She has permanent scarring in both eyes and cannot see very well at all - keeps bumping into things like trees and lamp posts . It breaks our hearts and since she is losing her sight nobody really wants to know her, but this is not really what I am on here today asking advice about.
Willow has not been spayed and this has been a tough decision for us as we lost our last dog Millie to 'thrombocytopenia' which wouldn't have happened had she not been spayed.
We have noticed for some time now that Willow’s breasts nearest her back end are hanging so low that they are nearly touching the ground. They are just very flabby and not causing a problem but I am worried as I have not seen another dog like it except in pictures of ex-breeding bitches. She looks so much worse now as she has just been clipped and the groomer removed her skirts.  I think she must have been this way for a while as I mentioned it to the vet about a year ago and he thought that she may have been experiencing a false pregnancy. Any advice and I would be so grateful.
We are finding it so difficult to cope due to our own ilnesses but I was horified when our groomer told us not to even consider rehoming Willow because alot of people would decide to have her pts! Rehoming is the last thing on my mind anyway.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Willow Is Going Blind
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »
I am so sorry to read this about Willow - I really have no advice other than to say that the groomers suggestion seems harsh.  I do understand that she is young and that you have your own health issuses to cope with, but I would think that a discussion with a vet who can give you a prospective on Willows overall health and well being plus the breast issue(have only had males so can't comment) and an idea on the outlook is the first thing to do.

As for the sight, a friend years ago took a rescue with sight in one eye, and the dog adapted to this overtime and the general poor shape of his vision, which is what I am sure Willow would do. Who is it who doesn't want to bother with her, I would say I wouldn't want to bother with them.

Might help if you add next to Blind on top banner plus breast swollen, it may get more folks to read with knowledge.
I send all best wishes and hope you find some answers.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Willow Is Going Blind
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
So sorry to read this. Poor Willow. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, except that it's not the end of the world if a dog goes blind, there are ways of coping. Thinking of you and Willow  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Re: Willow is going blind and has swollen breasts
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
Thank you Jaysmumagain , you will see I have taken your advice and  Finvarra for the replies. I don't expect many people will
have experience of dogs with swollen breasts as it seems so unusual. Willow is a bit overweight partly because I am unable to walk her far. It has helped me just to get on here and talk about her problems anyway.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
Just wondering if Willow might have mastitis, while thought only nursing dogs can have this - it seems that is not always the case, and a trip to the vets and antiboitcs may clear it up.

Best wishes

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
I had been wondering about mastitis and had another read up following your suggestion. She doesn't seem to be displaying any of the symptoms like redness or hard mammary glands but I am not so sure about a false pregnancy including behaviour change (she has started humping again and destroying her basket). She has an appointment with the vet in a few days for her ongoing
eye problems so I will discuss this with him then.
Thanks again for the advice.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
No direct experience with either issue, however my friend has a cocker with PRA and her sight is definitely fading. She uses a leads that states her dog is blind, and with time, the wee dog has adjusted. They do the same route for walks and she remembers obstacles. It will take Willow and youtime to adjust, but she will. Keep us posted on the vet visit.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
It's ironic that when Willow was operated on for her first cornea ulcer the vet thought he saw signs of PRA and said she would go blind within a few months. He admitted that he had probably got that wrong but she still has limited vision from the ulcers and permanent scarring.  She has very itchy eyes and is forever rubbing them along the floor and furniture.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
Hmmmm I wonder what is causing the itching, not sure that is associated with the PRA.  Might be worth checking if that is a separate issue.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »
No, the vet admits that he got it wrong with regards PRA but we have seen seven different vets over the past three years none of which has really been sure of the cause of the itching. She has had operations for turned in eyelids, ingrowing hairs and ulcers and so many eye drops but nothing has been completely effective. Now when you look into Willow's eyes one is cloudy but both have large blue/grey spots. The vet is now surprised that she can see as well as she does. I know she can see people up to about 20 metres away but not sure how well. We are desperately trying to preserve what sight she does have.
Regards

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Willow. A spayed bitch will have saggy boobs afraid and sometimes a season or false pregnancy can do the same
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »
I am also so sorry to hear about Willow. 

My Rosie had very saggy boobs, in fact I used to say she looked like a puppy farm dog that had had lots of litters.  Then she was spayed after having two seasons and her boobs have disappeared and are now flat.

Sending lots of love to Willow and yourselves.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
Thanks  PennyB and Countrygirl. I just wanted to know that Willow is normal and this has put our minds at rest. I really feel that she has been having a false pregnancy now but we will be keeping a close watch on her for a while.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 04:36:53 AM »
Do hope you get some answers at the vet - do let us know how you go on.

Best wishes