Author Topic: Ticks in the garden  (Read 995 times)

Offline lescef

Ticks in the garden
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
I'm fairly certain that we have ticks in our garden, especially after finding one crawling on Bramble's head. They particularly seem to like her -three in a week.  >:D. I think they are coming from hedgehogs, although I haven't seen any this year.
Is there something I can buy that will kill the little blighters off in the garden but that won't hurt anybody else?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Ticks in the garden
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »
If only there were. Ticks live in the foliage and climb up it, waiting for a passing creature to latch on to. They can climb quite high. They will go on any mammals, rabbits, deer, hedgehogs, and even birds. You would have to,spray everything up to thigh level, and most sprays are toxic to other insects, and some are toxic to cats.

The only way is to protect the dog. We get lots of the blighters  here in Scotland, but til now I haven't used anything, just a tick remover, but this year as we were going to Germany and Bizzy Lizzy said it was bad this year, I have used a preparation on Dylan and it did work, no ticks, but I don't like using it, it seems to make him itchy. You have to make your own mind up on that. There were lots of notices in France too, there is a lot of woodland there and car parks had warning signs.

They are the vilest insect, I wish there were a way to wipe em out (along with the Highland midge  :005: :005:) but we just have to live with it I guess  :020:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Darwin

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:24:30 AM »
When we first got Darwin. He managed to get a Tick between his first and second trip to the Vets, so definitely from the Hedgehog that had previously visited our Garden

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
OH bought a pack of Ixogen Tick Rolls for the garden this year, they‘re little cardboard tubes filled with, what looks like, cotton  wool. Theory is that the mice, which carry the ticks, use the wool for the nests and it kills all the ticks which  are on the mice. We bought them on Amazon Germany but just looked on Amazon UK and it says  no longer unavailable, but I don‘t know whether anything similar is available in UK or whether you could get them somewhere else. I think there are other brands.
Its very hard to say if they‘ve worked or not, he hasn‘t had any ticks for a while but that could just be the usual quiet period around August, they tend to start to come back around now. The manufacturers say they‘re not harmful to pets but I do wonder why Amazon UK has stopped them ?
We‘ve also been warned here about a new breed of tick which is on the rampage, they‘re bigger and carry yet other unknown germs.
I think the question of ticks, dangers and prevention has caused more discussions in our house than any other aspect of dog care and the subject comes up every year!! There‘s still no perfect solution, the little *******‘s have got us where they want us!  >:D