Author Topic: HELP - constipation  (Read 1520 times)

Offline rubyduby

HELP - constipation
« on: February 27, 2023, 10:52:47 AM »
My old lady (13) suddenly cannot poop when she tries she howls in discomfort, worried it might be a growth or similar, have appointment at tea time with vets, anyone else had this issue and what can I try to give her some comfort

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: HELP - constipation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 06:38:42 PM »
Could be a blocked anal gland, we had that with Bertie.  It was infected. To make things looser, I added veg for increased fibre.  Broccoli was always a favourite.  I hope she gets sorted ok.  :luv:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 07:51:45 PM »
yes the vet found both glands were very full, I was surprised as you usually get a smell or the dog licks at it, also she has been raw fed , anyway hoping that is the answer

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 08:12:15 PM »
I hope it is just that, and things settle down again.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 11:39:14 AM »
Sadly not, we ended up at the emergency 24 hr vet where she had an xray, but still only offered laxatives, she is uncomfortable and miserable and spends ages circling the garden and squatting, I just dont know what to do for her, I have been up two nights now, all night and looks like tonight will be the same, hopeless...

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 08:03:27 PM »
That's not good, did anything show on the x-ray?

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 06:19:57 PM »
Well eventually after 2 xrays and 1 scan and 5 days of laxatives, my girl was operated on , an explorative procedure, they found that her colon had been cut off completely by a string of body fat wrapped around, it looked like a sausage, with nothing getting through, no doubt as I said at the time the laxatives wouldnt have helped, no wonder she was in pain, glad I insisted on the operation. She got through it ok(she is 13) and apparently there was no problem or damage to the colon, but the vet said he had never seen anything like it. Probably a good job she wet off her food as I dread to think what would have happened.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 08:43:31 PM »
Gosh, I have never heard of that before. Blockages certainly, but not that.  Well done for trusting your instincts and insisting on the op.  I hope she continues to recover well.  Thank you for the update.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 09:29:26 PM »
Good gracious, what a strange thing to happen, poor girl!
Glad to hear she’s recovering well, what  a good job you decided on the op.!
All the best!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 09:00:20 AM »
Good heavens what a peculiar thing to happen. Hopefully now she has had the op. things will get back to normal for her.  :luv: :luv: Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.