Author Topic: Willow has Diabetes  (Read 3970 times)

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Willow has Diabetes
« on: May 05, 2023, 01:09:39 PM »
I am alone now with Willow following bereavement and finding it quite difficult looking after her through no fault of hers. She is my only reason to keep going now but today I have just been told by the vet that she has diabetes and I should consider having her put to sleep for my sake. I know it will be expensive but can anybody tell me how difficult it would be for me to give her insulin injections twice a day? She is nine years old now and has been nearly blind since about a year old following ulcers in her eyes and operations. Also  she is overweight and fairly deaf from warts in her ears and also on her body.
I have an appointment at the vets later today when he will talk to me but there is no way that I can agree to have her put to sleep. I have been so alone since last October, not seeing or speaking anyone from week to week. Would I be doing wrong to try and keep her? At the moment she has a great thirst and I have to leave my door open all night so she can get into the back garden.
I would be really grateful for any comments please.
                                                                          Bob

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Willow has Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
Firstly I am so sorry for your loss, and no it is certainly not wrong to try and keep Willow.  I certainly would not let her go without a darn good try to keep her. While this is a blow and you mention she has some deafness and sight loss I feel that is a part of growing old and just like us, Willow will have adapted to this.

When we are told by a vet the suddeness and shock kicks in. We naturally panic and wonder if we can cope.  It was the same when I was told about Ollie and his illness, he was 13 - my hubby was asked did we want to let him go as at the time he was sedated at the vets after a procedure.  We said no and brought him home.  Yes it was hard ( no lnjections ) with medication and diet changes etc but it became the norm and we had cherished days with a dog who was still wagging his tail and loving his meals and small walks for two more years.

I would discuss with your vet the medication options and make it clear you would like to try and learn to address this, ask does he think Willow can be helped with injections. If Willow can be helped with medication then some of the thirst may decline also I would ask about her diet etc. At first I am sure the vetinary nurse would be able to show you several times how to inject.

In the end all we can offer our cockers is our love and doing the best for them.

They are such loving dogs I am sure Willow will try and give it a go if you can.

Take care

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 02:07:53 PM »
The PDSA have a video on giving injection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGvQz_X29A

Worth a look.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »
 I wish that members would say what area they live in (I know there is an option but not everyone uses it).  I am sure there is someone is your area who could reach out to you and give you support.  I know that I would if someone needed help.  I know that we live in a time when not everyone is honest and there are so many scams about and I understand the need to be wary but it upsets me that you have been on your own all this time  with Willow.  Jaysmumagain has given you some super advice.  Don’t be rushed into making a decision that you are not comfortable with.  You will be given advice by your vet on how to inject and after a few tries under supervision I am sure you will manage.  Virtual hugs to you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 03:10:25 PM »
I can only second what both Jaysmumagain and Vixen have said, - great advice!
I always believe in trusting your instincts where our animals are concerned, I had to have my last two dogs put to sleep but somehow I knew when the time was right and I think you will too.
Vets won’t put a healthy dog down but I think there is probably a point when they could reasonably justify it if the dog has any health issues and they might therefore ask if that’s what you want, however it doesn’t necessarily mean that they can‘t enjoy life, often for a good while longer, so its certainly worth having another discussion.
I do hope you can get some reassurance from your vet’s practice and remember there are always people on here if you just need a bit of moral support, I know its not quite the same as face to face but I‘ve found comfort here on more than one occasion.
Sending  :bigarmhug: to you both.
Jayne x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 08:25:21 PM »
My condolences on your loss, I am sorry.  Personally, I would explore things with the vet before making a decision.  Diabetes can be managed, although it may take a while to get the dosage sorted.  If you feel you can do the injections, then why not.  Willow will have adapted to poorer vision and hearing, dogs are way more adaptable than we are.  Regarding the ongoing cost, it may be worth looking to see if you can buy the medication online.  Your vet will need to give you a prescription, and that will be chargeable, maybe £20ish.  Regarding her weight, the days are longer, the weather is bound to improve, I hope. If Willow feels a bit better with medication, then maybe more walks?  It would get you both out, and that can only be a good thing.  Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Best wishes.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 07:58:01 AM »
Sorry to read of your loss and of Willow's diagnosis. Can't offer any advice, but wish you all the best in finding help for Willow.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »
Willow is in the vets at this time. I took her in at 8.00am and the vet got me to give her the first injection, 10 units of insulan?
She will remain there being monitored the rest of today. Hope she will be home this evening or I will be so lonely.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
Wishing you and Willow the best news  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
Hello there Bob

I do hope you will have your girl home soon and she has taken well to the monitoring.

Sending all my best wishes that it's good news later today.

Julie and little Harry.

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2023, 06:44:55 PM »
I’m really hoping that Willows diabetes can brought under control very soon. They are such a huge worry when unwell. And it’s so hard when they are away from us at the vets. Thinking of you.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 04:50:18 PM »
My previous cocker, Jazz, was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 10.  Like you the vet suggested he was PTS and I was both shocked and horrified.  I had lost my husband and the thought of losing Jazz so soon afterwards was unbearable.  Fortunately I had retired and was at home with him to keep letting him go out for toileting as the diabetes does make them drink a lot.  I managed the injections well.  The veterinary nurse suggested I practice with a syringe of water on an orange first of all.   I had to keep taking Jazz back to the vets regularly for blood tests to adjust the insulin dose accordingly.  I'm not saying it was easy but I managed to keep my boy for another two years.  I send my very best wishes to you and Willow.   :bigarmhug:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 05:29:36 PM »
So sorry to hear how you are struggling with loss and loneliness. Our dogs are so important when we are alone. I just echo what everyone else has said, and am sure you would be able to,learn to give injections. It's amazing what we can do when we have to.
Shall be thinking of you and Willow and hoping that she goes on being your friend for much longer.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 07:41:03 AM »
My previous cocker, Jazz, was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 10.  Like you the vet suggested he was PTS and I was both shocked and horrified.  I had lost my husband and the thought of losing Jazz so soon afterwards was unbearable.  Fortunately I had retired and was at home with him to keep letting him go out for toileting as the diabetes does make them drink a lot.  I managed the injections well.  The veterinary nurse suggested I practice with a syringe of water on an orange first of all.   I had to keep taking Jazz back to the vets regularly for blood tests to adjust the insulin dose accordingly.  I'm not saying it was easy but I managed to keep my boy for another two years.  I send my very best wishes to you and Willow.   :bigarmhug:

This is why I think our friendly forum is so useful, when things looks bleak and there seems no way forward, it's lovely to have encouraging news from friendly folk who can give hope, advice and optimism  :luv:  :bigarmhug:

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the advice and support. Really apreciate every one of the replies and can't say how much it has helped me. Strangely just a few weeks ago I was asked by my diabetic nurse that I should agree to go onto insulin for my diabetes and I feel like I am using poor Willow now for a practice run. I am injecting Willow with 10 units morning and evening the only problem is when inserting the needle she will suddenly try and leap out of the way. I just hope things will get better as I am frightened the long thin needle might break off inside of her. Also two meals twelve hours apart are very difficult for both of us as she knows if I am eating anywhere in the house and she also knows how to make me feel very guilty for not sharing. I just feel so sad for her.
I will post again just to say how things are going. She goes back to the vets on the 15th and will stay in all day.

Bob