Author Topic: Willow has Diabetes  (Read 3972 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Willow has Diabetes
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 01:40:34 PM »
Well done! I‘m not sure I‘d have the courage to give an injection but then we don’t know what we’re capable of until the need arises. The important thing is, you‘ve made a start and I‘m sure things will get easier as Willows adapts to the routine and you become more relaxed about it.
Sorry if its a silly suggestion, I don’t have any experience of diabetes, but is she allowed any sort of treats which you could use as reward to make the injection positive? My dog has a weight problem and I give him bits of vegetables, e.g. carrots either slightly cooked in a bit of broth or water with a scrap of meat in , or put into a plastic bag with a bit of something tasty, that will add flavour.  I cut tiny cubes  as training treats for his physiotherapy but he gets larger pieces of carrot of cucumber or similar as a snack inbetween. It might just help as a distraction ?
Please don’t feel guilty, cockers are masters at looking at you and making you feel wretched, but you’re doing a great job and I‘m sure if you were able to ask Willow, she‘d be quite happy for you to gain your injecting skills on her, you‘re a team and she‘d want to help you as you‘re helping her.  ;)
Do keep us posted!
All the very best to you both!  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 04:36:05 PM »
Do you have a smooth wipe clean surface at cocker nose height? A wall tile or similar.  If you were to smooth a tiny amount of Primula cheese or pate on there it might keep Willow occupied while you can do the injection.  It would give you a chance to both get used to doing the injections.

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
Not going so well. Two bent needles, one injection into her fur and one needle into my finger when she moves so suddenly.
I will talk it over with the vet on Monday when she goes into the animal hospital all day for tests but at this moment I am not at all sure how long I can keep this up for.
Bob

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2023, 10:44:41 AM »
Oh dear, I‘m sorry to hear that but do try not to become disheartened, I‘m sure its just a matter of practise and you gaining confidence. Hopefully your vet will be able to help and reassure you, (he probably had a few bent needles as well when he was training,  ;) ) Might there be a nurse at the vets practice  who could supervise you for a few days and possibly give you some tips about how to approach Willow or how to hold her? It would mean a few extra visits to the vet but if it helps, then its worth it.
Do keep us posted, wishing you all the best for Monday‘s visit,  :luv:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2023, 06:35:39 PM »
epj has suggested smearing some goodies on a wall but I use a licky mat.  About £5 to buy off ebay or elsewhere.   Its made of silicone, it  can be used on glass, a tiled floor even the bath when bathing. They stick really well as they have good suction.  Maisie hates being dried after a dirty walk and the mat really helps as she is so busy licking, she doesn’t notice me drying her  :005:
https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/lickimat-buddy-boredom-buster
I have put the link to pets at home because i couldn’t work out how to put an ebay link up, but they are cheaper on ebay.  Just type into the search licky mat and lots of choice will come up.
If Willow is concentrating on licking, hopefully she won’t notice the needle.
I use cheap pate or soft cheese for my dogs.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »
good idea with the lickimat, I hadn't thought of that!  I really hope you can get this sorted.  do you know if there is a Blue Cross or PDSA branch near you, they might be happy to help you with the injections until you both get the hang of it.  It will take you both a while to get the hang of it.  Try not to feel too disappointed.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2023, 07:35:01 PM »
I imagine it is very nerve racking to stick a needle in your best pal, and you're not feeling very relaxed about it. It will take a bit of getting used to, but we are all rooting for you. The licky mat sounds like a good suggestion 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 09:01:30 AM »
The primula cheese spread and the licky mat are both excellent ideas and I may have to try them but after another bent needle last night this morning I moved her food dish to the corner of the kichen so she had nowhere to leap to and all went perfectly.
Think I forgot to mention that the vet suggested putting her food down and when she is half way through eating it I grab her by the scruf of the neck and in goes the needle. Well she didn't say it quite like that but it does seem to work sometimes at least.
Thanks to all for the ongoing support and I will continue to persevere for as long as I can anyway.

Bob

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2023, 01:07:30 PM »
I imagine it is very nerve racking to stick a needle in your best pal, and you're not feeling very relaxed about it. It will take a bit of getting used to, but we are all rooting for you. The licky mat sounds like a good suggestion 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Lesley
The primula cheese spread and the licky mat are both excellent ideas and I may have to try them but after another bent needle last night this morning I moved her food dish to the corner of the kichen so she had nowhere to leap to and all went perfectly.
Think I forgot to mention that the vet suggested putting her food down and when she is half way through eating it I grab her by the scruf of the neck and in goes the needle. Well she didn't say it quite like that but it does seem to work sometimes at least.
Thanks to all for the ongoing support and I will continue to persevere for as long as I can anyway.

Bob
f

Oh well done!  :lol2: There‘s little that will stop a cocker enjoying food even a „pain in the neck“!!
I‘ve just been looking at a variety of lick mats here on Amazon Germany, made me giggle to see how many of them use cockers on their adverts, the manufactures have obviously already realized their suitability for marketing     „distraction by food“ !!!!

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 05:50:11 PM »
I took Willow into the vets yesterday morning at 8.30 as arranged and they promised to call me late afternoon to say I could pick her up. I had heard nothing by 6.0 pm so I called them and they said I could go and pick her up. When I got there I was told they had an emergency and would have to wait a few minutes but in fact it was over an hour and no apology from the vet. Anyway the good news is that they are happy with Willow's blood sugars and the nurse said she has a near perfect 'u curve' and I can reduce
the insulan from 10 units twice a day down to 9 units twice a day. Also she is now allowed a little kibble at mid day and again at 4pm. She has another appointment in two weeks time but at 9.15 am instead of 8.30 am so she will have to wait longer for her breakfast.
Next time she goes she will be seeing a different vet again and I have just been told that I will not see him, the nurse will come and take her away and I will not see her again until the evening. Not happy especially as Willow is nearly blind and she will be bumping into things and hurting herself all day I am sure. I spend my life 'steering'Willow away from harm and sharp objects and I know they are not that careful. By her next appointment in two weeks it will have cost around £700 but I will try and keep it going as long as possible.

Bob

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 06:06:18 PM »
When my Marley had to have regular blood tests for her thyroid medication, I was told that she would be taken from me, taken into a back room, muzzled and then blood taken.  I told them I wanted to stay with her while blood being taken.  I was told no, that is not possible as owners get too upset.  I again insisted that I would hold her while blood taken as I knew Marley would prefer that.  From then on that is how it went. I may have come across as assertive but I was thinking of my girl.   I think you should insist that you go in with Willow and you want to take her home after she has been seen and you want to be able to talk to the vet. .  You are the customer and paying the vet’s wages and they should try to accommodate your wishes and think of Willow’s best interests.
You could ring up before your appointment and say you are not happy at their suggestions, explain about WIllow’s needs, how you want the appointment to go and just be assertive  ;)
I am pleased Willow is doing well on her medication.  Just wondered where you get her diabetes medication from?  You can get it online with a vet’s prescription.  You will have to pay for the prescription but it may be a way to save money.  If you explain to the vet about the cost, I am sure they will understand.  The vet will still be paid for her regular checks after all.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 07:07:56 PM »
   I think you should insist that you go in with Willow and you want to take her home after she has been seen and you want to be able to talk to the vet. .  You are the customer and paying the vet’s wages and they should try to accommodate your wishes and think of Willow’s best interests.

Totally agree! The priority is Willow‘s welfare not the convenience of the practice staff, its quite in order for you to be insistent.
Good to hear things are looking better.
Wishing you both all the best.  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
That's really good news, well done.  I have to agree about staying with Willow.  You are the customer, and Willow's welfare is the priority.  I used to ask for an appointment with my preferred vet, as I personally think that continuity is important.  Anyway, the main thing is you and Willow are doing great.  :luv:

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
Thanks again for all of your support. I know I will have to accept things the way they are or risk not having a vet at all for poor Willow.

Bob

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »
Im so pleased to hear that Willows latest results are good news. And that she can enjoy a little of her kibble at extra points of the day. It’s so hard leaving them with the vet but it must be especially so when you have to worry about her lack of sight. I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for a particular vet if there is  one that you prefer to see with Willow.  Many people do this.  It’s so important to build a relationship with the vet when there is a long term or more serious issue. It will be a long day for you while she’s at the vets but just keep looking forward to that happy reunion at the end of the day.. Love to Willow.