Author Topic: Help! 4 month old working cocker spaniel issues  (Read 3967 times)

Offline LTMot

Help! 4 month old working cocker spaniel issues
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:31:48 AM »
Hi everyone - hoping I can get some advice. I got my male working cocker spaniel at 8 weeks and he has always been a biter - it became so bad he went back to the breeder for a week of 'puppy bootcamp' and he came back good as gold. Problem is the issues as resurfacing, especially jumping up and nipping my arms. When I try and put a lead on he also tries to bite and has began snarling which I'm really concerned about. The other issue is he gets very over excited really quickly when out of his crate (lays down, barks at me, jumps around and jumps and nips). We try and give him as many naps as possible and time outside of the crate is kept short and sweet with retrieving games, scent work, and walks. Has anyone else experiences this and what did you do?
He also never comes to us in the house and gives us a wide birth - especially when he has a toy or has 'stolen' something. It's as if all trust has been lost.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We love our pup so much and he is so smart and we can see great things ahead, but honestly this puppy phase has been awful!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Help! 4 month old working cocker spaniel issues
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 09:49:29 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL

I feel if I were in your circumstances with many issues, I would look for a behavourist (one who uses kind methods and offers 1 to 1 consultations would be best ) to look at your problems and help you solve them.

What area are you in? maybe someone on COL would know of a trusted trainer/behavourist near or not too far from you, maybe ask your vets if they know of anyone.

Sorry I cannot be of much help, but hope you get things sorted for your little man....and you
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline LTMot

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 05:03:50 PM »
Thanks for coming back to me! We're in East Kent so any recommendations would be great!

As a first time owner I came into this with years of research (I've wanted a dog all my life) and even did courses but nothing quite prepares you for when one enters your life!!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:17:41 PM »
Please don’t despair.
I know where you are coming from as I had the puppy from hell  :005:
I had had two working cockers before and thought I was prepared but Maisie was something else. Even at 8 weeks old she was a bolshy teenager  >:D  Very bitey and answered back.
At 5 months old I have to admit I hated her and just wanted to go back to the time when I didn’t have her.  BUT I felt I had taken her on and she was my responsibility and we would get through things together. I read lots and lots of old posts on COL about the bitey puppy stage and these really did help me as I realized I wasnt alone. I started to take a day at a time and just get through that.  Maisie started to get better at 10 months and I know that seems a long time ahead for you but you can get through this stage a day at a time and it may not take so long for you as they are all different.  Maisie is still a feisty little girl but that is her nature but she is also incredibly loving and cuddly now too.  She is nearly two and a half now and I also have a boy aged 18 months.
Have you thought that maybe you are doing too much with him when out of his crate, over stimulating him?  He has to learn to settle himself and if every time he comes out, you are doing something with him, how can he learn to self settle?  If he starts to snarl at the lead, just put the lead down until he is calm.  It may take many many attempts but gradually he will learn that if he stays calm he will get the lead on and can go for a walk.
Battersea have some good training videos and one teaches how to get a dog to settle.  That may be useful to you.
When he has a stolen item, hard as it is, just ignore him.  If he thinks you want it, it will make it much more valuable for him.  If it is something that you simply have to get off him ( a remote/phone/dangerous item) throw something tasty on the ground and when he releases forbidden item retrieve it.  Do you do swapping games with him?
There really is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there but be consistent and calm with him. 
Just to add, it is usually the really clever bright dogs who are the most difficult as puppies  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 09:16:13 PM »
Some really good advice from Vixen
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline LTMot

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 10:32:41 AM »
Thanks Vixen! So glad to hear I'm not alone and it's lovely to hear your pup has calmed down a bit - here's hoping that stage isn't too far off now.
As you say - I need to take one day and a time and focus on all the great things he has learnt and does. Yesterday was a much better day! I do give him time to mooch/play with his toys alone after we've spent a bit of time together (a bit of training/scent work/retreving) and last night he managed to stay out around an hour before he got bored of his own company and became overtired and bitey so I think that's progress!
I'll certainly take a look at the Battersea videos and do more swapping games with him. I've got him back on a house lead so there's no option for 'the chase game' so fingers crossed that helps too!
Oh he is certainly bright - I think he is training us!
Need to start on loose lead training too - it's hilly where I am and I might as well put skis on my feet and train him up as a sled dog at this rate! 😉

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 01:56:48 PM »
SO pleased you can see there is light at the end of the tunnel  :D
Maisie is a lovely dog now as I knew she would be but at 5 months she really was the puppy from hell   >:D   My hands used to be red raw from her nipping.  She is still feisty but that is reserved for her little brother and other dogs now  :005: 
All dogs are different,  Ned who is 9 months younger than Maisie was a delightful pup, very chilled and calm.
I am glad you can see his progress.  It is all too easy to focus on the naughty negative things that you forget what he has learnt and how far he has come.
He is after all so young, a baby and he will get better.  The first year of having a dog is SO hard but if you put the work in, you will have a dog that will be a delight and a pleasure to be around for hopefully 14 plus years  ;)
Keep posting please as COLers love to hear about the progress of puppies.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jen569

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 08:14:21 AM »
Hello.
Ive a recommendation of a behaviourist and pet dog tea for you - Jane Arden. She is a working cocker expert having 7 of her own, and whilst she’s based near Manchester she does run an online option where you can join in classes and ask questions on her live behaviour chat. She only endorses truly positive methods and we’ve learnt a lot about the emotional state of our dog in different situations having only joined a month ago, it’s been really eye opening what we’ve learnt and wished we’d joined earlier. There’s also a number of recordings to watch back which I’d really recommend. Her website is waggawuffins.com
I hope that’s a helpful option. Good luck, I promise it gets better!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 05:50:38 PM »
They are all so different! Mine was a very bright and very mixed up show type. He went berserk with a crate in the house, so it was just for the car, when he would settle.
He snarled, I cried.  We were told not to look him in the eye to challenge him, turn your back, and he will stop because you’re boring. Go out of the room  to leave him on his own when he’s over excited.  Swap toys.
I never used a crate in the house. Like zoo creatures,   some dogs can’t cope with being caged.  I know someone who adopted a rescuecockapoo that was crated in the working hours for two yearsand  became really neurotic.
Does he meet other dogs now? Puppy classes will be great fun. My dog, though demanding at home, became incredibly shy at puppy fun and tricks classes,  and when braver, was great. I was told he was shy, sensitive and very intelligent. Nice to have people praise him for a change.
As for leads, if he won’t let you put it on, use a slip lead to drop over his head. Will he hold a toy instead of his lead?
Most cockers thrive on training games. Perhaps to get him to come to you in. the house, you could use whistle  and special treat.  Cut breakfast portion down to use the food in training times.
My trainer told me that  an attentive dog can learn a new trick in five repeats.  It’s important to teach it in the right sequence. 
The crockerdile cocker grows out of biting when the baby teeth fall out.  If it continues with snarling or scaring you,  carry on looking for a good behaviourist.  It’s money well spent.  One of my other breeds had a private lesson once a month for fear aggression for a year.  The total cost was the same as weekly classes which  he couldn’t cope with.
 Yours is just a boisterous puppy, so I hope you can find a routine  that he will calm down for, and enjoy the cuddles.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 08:24:25 PM »
Just wondering how things are now it's a few months on
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----