Author Topic: Chicken wings  (Read 2931 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Chicken wings
« on: June 04, 2004, 01:26:33 AM »
Ive been reading that a lot of owners here give raw chicken wings to their dogs.  :o

Its a new one to me (told you I had been out of the loop for a long time) but Im intrigued and can see the benefits.

When you say chicken wings, do you mean the whole wing, you know even the fatter bit with the most meat on it, or just the flat scrawny bit?

Also from what age would you start feeding them and how many and how often?

I should say that when the boyo gets here I will be feeding him a complete dry food as thats what I am used to.

Lordy I have so much to learn, I feel like a brand new mum  :)

Cheers
Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:34:39 AM »
Hi Suki,

the topic of chicken wings has been discussed on the board before, you may find this link useful http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...highlight=wings

Gilly                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Chicken wings
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 12:36:11 PM »
Gilly

Thanks for the link, it seams I missed that one  :oops:

I still cant work out if its the whole wing or not or if they should be given as well as their meal or as an inbetween.

Any suggestions?

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Chicken wings
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 01:09:10 PM »
I suppose it depends if you want to feed a raw diet or just give the chicken wings as a treat. Whenever I have given Butty a wing it's been the whole wing  :) I must admit she isn't overly keen on them...either that or she just isn't quite sure what to do with it  :roll:  My friend was horrified to find i'd given Butty a RAW chicken wing....but I convinced her that it was perfectly OK  :wink:  Her cocker Roana knew what to do with it straight away and now she begs at the fridge for them  :lol:  :lol:
Others who feed raw diets may be able to advise you better on how much you would feed to a puppy but as I said earlier it really depends if you are considering them as part of his daily diet or just as treats  :)                    

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 01:09:31 PM »
Suki it's the whole thing wings aren't very big...you can give them to supplement their meal if you don't wish to go the full hog and feed raw :wink:
Edith                    

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 04:29:35 PM »
Mine practically do somersaults at the mere mention of them. Ruby was dubious at 1st but she adores them. Watch for constipation though if you give too many                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:23:01 PM »
I have just read a brilliant book called "Give your dog a bone" and it encouraged me to give Bailey raw lamb's liver and cottage cheese mixture for his dinner.  I also put a lump of garlic there and he loved it! Apparently good to keep ticks etc away. He finished his meal with a strawberry!
As dogs are scavengers they love raw food.  I have never given Bailey a bone to chew before but I will go to the butcher's tomorrow and buy him a few.
The book mentioned the chicken wings as very good for dogs and I will try them.  I am just a little bit worried that he'll get some bones stuck in his throat.  I hope not.  
Anyway, I encourage you to read this book.  It will really make you think about the food you give your dog: dry, canned, home cooked or raw?

Speak to you soon

Tuuli & Bailey                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 10:05:17 PM »
I have just read a brilliant book called "Give your dog a bone" and it encouraged me to give Bailey raw lamb's liver and cottage cheese mixture for his dinner.  I also put a lump of garlic there and he loved it! Apparently good to keep ticks etc away. He finished his meal with a strawberry!
The book mentioned the chicken wings as very good for dogs and I will try them.  I am just a little bit worried that he'll get some bones stuck in his throat.  I hope not.  
Anyway, I encourage you to read this book.  It will really make you think about the food you give your dog: dry, canned, home cooked or raw?

Hi Tuli, If I'm not mistaken this book was written by Dr Ian Billinghurst  :?   I've recently read one of his books 'the BARF Diet' which I also found to be very interesting.  The only problem I found is that it was quite hard to work out exactly how much of each item is required to ensure a balanced diet  :?

There are several people on this forum who feed totally raw.  I currently feed Piper chicken wings several times a week (raw ones) and she loooooves them  :shock:   Piper has recently been diagnosed as having HD so I am considering changing her diet to a raw one but have to ensure that I get the balance just right for her....

Anyway, I have not encountered any problems with the chicken wings in so far as choking goes.  She chews them very carefully, savouring every last bit  :D                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Chicken wings
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 09:15:06 AM »
Billy and Abby both love chicken wings and Abby is only 10 weeks old.
All I do is give it a bash with a rolling pin and she does the rest :wink:

Michelle                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:20:25 AM »
Billy and Abby both love chicken wings and Abby is only 10 weeks old.
All I do is give it a bash with a rolling pin and she does the rest :wink:

Michelle

Oh bless little Abby - I can just imagine her crunching away....                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Chicken wings
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 10:09:35 AM »

Oh bless little Abby - I can just imagine her crunching away....

Awwww! Yea i could just picture it :lol: ...how cute :wink: :D                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Chicken wings
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 10:21:54 AM »
Sorry to disapoint you girls but Abby is NOT Cute whilst eating chicken wings you should hear the noise out of her, she is growling at it the whole time and the crunching sets my nerves on edge :shock: but on the plus side it is the only thing that she take longer to eat than Billy does so he can eat his in peace :D

Michelle                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 09:27:03 PM »
isnt raw chicken going to give them food poisoning as it does to us humans?And why cant cooked bones be given but raw ones can?Sorry to be a dolt :roll:                    

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 02:20:51 AM »
Dogs have very strong stomachs compared to us. Especially when you think about cockers and what they scavenge LOL

I think its something to do with the shape of their gut compared to ours so they can withstand far more cr***p going in theirs than we would!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Chicken wings
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 10:45:56 AM »
Hi,
I feed my dog a totally natural raw diet. Dogs are meant to eat raw meat and bones , they have very strong digestive enzymes which can break down meat and bones quite effectively. Bones are meant to be fed as a supplement after their main food. This allows a lining to form on their stomach and therefore protect their stomach from any puncture wounds. I didn't fed chicken wings when Penny was a pup, only by choice , I gave her a small strip of lamb ribs instead. ie 4joined ribs and let her eat them. The soft bones are better for your dog as the large bones can grind their teeth down. If I were to advise you I would probably suggest 1 chicken wing after a meal to start with.

From Karen                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.