Author Topic: Daisy's a big girl now - spaying what do you think?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Daisy's a big girl now - spaying what do you think?
« on: August 07, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »
Over the last few days Daisy has started her first season (14mths) - big girl now !

I had Georgie spayed after her season, but am reluctant to do the same with Daisy as Georgie was a really slim girl and she ballooned! I am struggling to keep weight off her.

Daisy was born with a deformed foot and has a couple of toes missing.  This has caused her problems with limping, but fortunately after seeking advice, with careful exercise and some osteopathy she is now much better.  I am so worried about her putting on lots of weight, like Georgie, which will put extra strain on her foot and could make the problem worse.

I don't mind her season and I don't walk her where there are lots of dogs so it is'nt really a problem, but my vet keeps pressurising me to have her spayed and I don't really want to.  I know there are health benefits from having her spayed so don't want to put her at risk.

Do any of you, who don't breed, have unspayed bitches - what do you think?                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 08:27:52 PM »
i use swimmers nappies with a hole cut for the tail they stay up pretty well  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 08:48:34 PM »
I haven't had any problems with keeping the weight off Ruby or Wilf and with exercise and a change to Burns they seem to be losing weight rather than gaining it. All my friend's cocker bitches have been spayed and haven't had any weight problems either.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks Luvlylady for the tip about the swimmers - will try that.

Penny - can't understand why Georgie is so heavy at 13.8  - they too are on Burns and although the instructions say 100-200gms for a 10 to 20kg dog they only have 90gms with a teaspoon of wet food and some raw veg.  They share a Rodeo chewy on a morning and the only other treats they have throughout the day is raw veg.  

Georgie was so skinny before she was spayed that I was quite worried and tried to feed her up!                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 12:08:52 AM »
Thanks Luvlylady for the tip about the swimmers - will try that.

Penny - can't understand why Georgie is so heavy at 13.8  - they too are on Burns and although the instructions say 100-200gms for a 10 to 20kg dog they only have 90gms with a teaspoon of wet food and some raw veg.  They share a Rodeo chewy on a morning and the only other treats they have throughout the day is raw veg.  

Georgie was so skinny before she was spayed that I was quite worried and tried to feed her up!

Guess I've been lucky as Ruby lost about 1-1/2 kg since I put her on Burns even though my intention was just a few lbs. Then Wilf who I hadn't intended to lose weight at all went and lost some as well.

Is the 13.8 too heavy for your dog.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 12:15:03 AM »
I can't see any reason to rush into spaying a bitch if you are quite happy to cope with her seasons  :wink:  If it affects your lifestyle and is a problem I can see the reason but I do think that some vet's (not all  :wink: )tend to push it on owners to get it done  :?  I know mine did...and I got the spiel about mamary cancer etc  :roll:
This is just my personal opinion obviously  :wink:  each to their own....but with the concerns re her limping and as long as you are careful I can't see the point  :)                    

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 05:38:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

When I took Daisy to the Royal Veterinary College about her foot and I said that I was considering not having her spayed the consultant spoke to quite sternly and gave me a lecture on why I should have her spayed, which was quite upsetting.

Georgie was 14.8 - I have managed to reduce this by a kilo to 13.8 but I thought that she should be nearer 12?                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »
Georgie was 14.8 - I have managed to reduce this by a kilo to 13.8 but I thought that she should be nearer 12?

Is this the weight your vets have suggested                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »
Yes - everytime I go they keep reminding me how overweight she is!                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 07:43:37 AM »
If you are happy to cope with her seasons then I would leave her as she is. Most spayed cockers I know are overweight, they all get plenty of excercise and their diet is good but they are still overweight. I think the risk of her putting on weight and being unable to move around freely does not justify spaying your girl.
Most vets advocate spaying as early as possible, I think each case should be looked at for what is is and if this op leads to other complications then it is not in her best interest. As far as weight goes, again some vets like to see cockers as slim as possible, which is fair enough but most don't know the ideal weight for a cocker anyway. I was told once one of my slim fit show girls was too fat :lol:
As long as you are careful when she is in season then she should be o.k.
If you decide not to spay rehearse what you will say to any vet who questions your motives.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 08:37:22 AM »
If you decide not to spay rehearse what you will say to any vet who questions your motives

This scares me. Is speying so heavily pushed upon you that you have to justify yourself when deciding not too?

Only ever having dogs, the vets asks but are quite accepting when we decline to have them neutered. So whats with the speying?

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I had really decided not to have her spayed, but when professionals question you it does make it difficult.  Of course, I don't want to put her at risk in any way, but I do feel that any extra weight would see her in great difficulty.

Thanks Tracey for the advice about being prepared for the vets questions that is a good idea.                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 10:07:52 PM »

Thanks Tracey for the advice about being prepared for the vets questions that is a good idea.

You are welcome :)

Sometimes it can be difficult if we decide to " go against " our vet's advise.
If we make a well informed decision about what is best for our dogs then I think it is good to make clear in our own minds what we will say if questioned :wink:

Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare