Author Topic: Overeating, and sickness  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Overeating, and sickness
« on: August 08, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »
Yesterday, We had to go out earlier than we had planned, and Instead of leaving Jazz alone for too long, we took her to a friends house.

I left her food, and the odd treat, and when we collected her later last night, her belly was so large , and full. I pressed it when i picked her up and she let out this smelly burp..  I asked if she had eaten anything other than what i left, and they said she hadn't, but i was quite worried last night, although this was short lived, as when we got home she was running around as normal.

At about 6 this morning, she woke up crying, and I let her out to find her doing the biggest poos i had ever seen, i noticed she had done two, quite firm.  

She came back to the house and was sick three times in the house, went outside and had another 3 large Poos. As i cleared everthing up, i notice a lot of onions and  red peppers, as well as what looked like cat food, and other stuff, i couldn't identify.  She just sood there with her head lowered for about 5 mins as i cleared everything up.

I then picked her floppy body up and took her to our bedroom which was the coolist room in the house and gave her some water, which she wouldnt touch at first, so i gave her an ice cube.

As i opened her mouth i notice her gums and inside her mouth was bone white, and this is normally pink, so i was very worried. I called the vet, who told me to just keep her quiet for a few hours.

Now she seems to have perked up although looks very sweaty, due to the heat.. her gums have got better colour. Her heart is beating very fast still, but she is moving about more..

I plan not to feed her anything today, and start with boiled food tomorrow.

I called my friend who is very concerned and she didn't recall seeing her eat anything other than what i left,  she  did check her bin bags and they had been eaten through, she admitted there was food in them.  She had had a spicy beef dinner the night before with peppers etc...

Does this sound like anything other than the fact she has gorged herself on what may be spicy food... combined with the heat and excitement?'

I haven't ever seen a dogs gums and mouth so white in my life and i was so worried !

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Overeating, and sickness
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 11:53:16 AM »
oh, what an awfull thing is happened. How is she doing now?                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Overeating, and sickness
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 03:48:51 PM »
Hope she's ok. Very pale gums usually indicates urgent veterinary attention is needed but if Jazz seems better today, that's good. I would still get her checked out tomorrow if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Overeating, and sickness
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 06:45:30 PM »
Thank You ..

As the day has gone on Jazz has become more perky, but remained very clingy to me. Everytime i lay down she jumps up and snuggles up on my chest with her head under my chin.

Her gums and inside her mouth has got pinker... but is still a little pale. I didn't know what this meant.  I still have not fed her anything other then having water available fo her.   I did give her a cold bath earlier today and this seem to cool her right down.

I can only think she ate something too spicy and it had such a horrible effect.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Overeating, and sickness
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 07:30:20 PM »
When we feel nauseous and unwell our faces will go very pale and this may be the same for dogs especially as she seems to be coming round now.

From Karen  :)                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Overeating, and sickness
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 10:36:08 PM »
It's not really the same for dogs. Pale gums is often an indication of clinical shock amongst other things - we've seen it 4 or 5 times over the years but never for something relatively minor like a tummy upset. Glad Jazz is feeling better anyhow but I'm sure you'll keep a close eye on her for the next few days - if she's been raiding a bin, there's a chance she may have swallowed something that hasn't passed through the system yet but hopefully it's all out now :wink:

Jane                    
Jane