Author Topic: Advice on cocker slobbering please. UPDATE  (Read 478 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Advice on cocker slobbering please. UPDATE
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Due to the medication Tali has to make his tear gland produce tears, he produces alot of saliva at times. I'm not talking a few drips, it's more like a tap on a fast drip. He gets completely soaked, including his tail, anything he touches is completely soaked and he leaves puddles of slobber everywhere. It depresses us both. I just wondered if anyone know of anything natural which helps with excessive slobbering?

I could remove him from the meds and just use artificial tears, but it would mean his right nostral will dry up and go crusty again.

He does need the lipfold op in about 6 months which may help to contain some of the saliva, but not all.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Mel

• Donator
Re: Advice on cocker slobbering please.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
I've removed Tali from his drops for 24hrs. This is the correct time for clearing his system. I've reduced his dosage even further. We started on 3 drops 3 times a day and slowly titred the drops up to 13 three times a day, which is when I first got a STT reading which was about 17mm as far as I recall.

Anyhow, once we had reached 13 drops, the slobber was terrible. Unfortuately I then became ill and was unable to be so scientific about it as I was sleeping odd hours.

However, he was on 12 drops and this seemed to work well, then he started mega slobbering.

I removed him yesterday for 24hrs and reduced to 10 drops three times a day and after his breakfast I got a reading of 17mm and minimal slobbering. I will try to reduce this further if I can but it's almost like he needed quite a bit to kick start the process off. He had no readings, xs slobbering or sickness/diawotsits on his way up to 13.

Poor Ickly Bubby, I know the slobbering depresses him; he was even almost stopping eating  :-\

Free Cake!

Offline Mel

• Donator
Re: Advice on cocker slobbering please. UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »
Oh just to add, when I spoke to the receptionist at the opthamologist's, she told me her dog had no tear response from Pilocarpine even with excessive slobbering, so she said it was excellent news that the tears flow, albeit not 24/7.

Free Cake!