Author Topic: special diet to prevent bladder stones?  (Read 338 times)

Offline blueroangirl

• Site Member
  • R.I.P Sweep 21.2.2004-7.12.2013
special diet to prevent bladder stones?
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
Does anyone know about special diets for when dogs have had bladder stones removed? Sweep has just had his operation today to remove two bladder stones and also been castrated at the same time - poor lad! We have to collect him later today. The vet has mentioned something about a special diet to help prevent the stones coming back. They are sending the stones to America of all places for analysis!

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: special diet to prevent bladder stones?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
Oh poor little sweep  :luv: :luv: hope you get better real soon little one  :-* :-*  As for the special food when Poppy had struvite crystals she was put on science plan food (tinned) to help dissolve them and to help prevent them coming back :luv:  she wasn't on it forever though, I think that your vet will advise you more when you go and pick sweep up  :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:43:35 PM »
When Morgan had his op last year to remove struvite stones the vet asked what he was fed on. At the time he was on Burns kibble which the vet approved of, in his (approximate) words -

"That's one of the good ones for bladder health, there are  others as well, we stock Hills which is also very good but I'm not going to try to persuade you to change, there's no need to. Royal Canin do one for the bladder as well , Hills isn't necessarily any better but we can't stock them all"

I think I previously mentioned that Morgan also gets cranberry tablets to help keep the ph of his urine down, Geoff the vet was very supportive and interested in our results.

I hope Sweep recovers quickly, check that the vet gives you enough painkillers when you pick him up. Morgan was very distressed for the first couple of days after his op.

:bigarmhug:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
As Elaine says (which I forgot about) Poppy was on cranberry tablets for a time aswell but she didn't get the full blown stones only the crystals and they were bad enough  :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x