Author Topic: Itching, pulling fur out, licking and sucking underside  (Read 461 times)

Offline sioux

Itching, pulling fur out, licking and sucking underside
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
Has Anybody any idea what might be going on with my 5 year old blue roan bitch Millie, for the past couple of months she has been itching, pulling fur out and licking and sucking her underside.
She has been wormed it is not that,
She is flea and tick treated, I have repeatedly checked nothing there.
Have had her anal sac checked in order.
Although I have changed her diet ( to reduce her weight) this was going on before.
She sleeps in the bedroom in her little bed and quite frankly I don't remember I got a decent nights sleep since this started.
She did this last year and the year before for months at a time, all I get from the vets is she must be a clean little doggie or
we just don't know (some help)
I am wondering if it' some form of allergy any ideas would be welcomed.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Itching, pulling fur out, licking and sucking underside
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
I would go to a different vet  >:(  something is obviously bothering her, and that response from a vet is just not good enough IMO. Might be worth maybe going to a vet and asking for skin scrapings? Have one of these  :bigarmhug: when I was a child we had a family dog who did this and had really terrible skin allergies, it was exhausting for everyone.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Harvest mites? They are about this time of year - I've just discovered them on my girl Emily. Very tiny orange dots. They are parasites and can cause an allergic reaction and then skin infection in some dogs. Luckily Emily doesn't seem too bothered by them, but the only recommended treatments I've seen for them ate frontline spray (spot treatment ineffective apartently) or flea shampoo. As your dog seems to develop 'seasonal' symptoms, it might be harvest mites?  Often missed by vets.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
'are' not 'ate' - typing on stupid phone!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
That's what I thought...
change your Vet!
What is that all about
"She's a clean dog" or
"we don't know"...?
Not at all helpful!
steffxxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
Grass mites? Is it always this time of year?

William used to be slightly itchy all year round but a lot worse in the summer, although not to the extent that poor Millie is. During the summer months I used to bath him every couple of weeks or so with a dog shampoo called Coatex and that seemed to help, but what really helped was when I changed him to a raw food diet and all of his little itches and health niggles just stopped. Not suggesting that you go down that road (although it's worth considering) but as others have already said I'd be wanting a bit more help from my vet than you've been getting from yours.

Hope you find a solution and welcome to COL by the way :D

Offline sioux

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
Yes I have been thinking a change of vet might help mine only seems interested if money is involved.
Grass mites is a strong possiblity considering where we go, thanks everyone.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:33:19 PM »
I was going to suggest mites/mange. They are microscopic so you won't see anything on her skin.
It might be worth treating with Stronghold just in case  :D