Author Topic: Dentastix are good for puppy teeth  (Read 16977 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Dentastix are good for puppy teeth
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

Have received a reply back from Pedigree who inform me their Denastix product good for your dogs teeth. Contrary to previous posts on this forum there is a positive dental reaction to regular Denastix usage ;)

Mel.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Dentastix are good for puppy teeth
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
Well of course the manufacturer would endorse them and present their own slightly biased evidence - it would be poor marketing if they didn't :shades:  :lol2:

If you're happy with the ingredient list then that is up to you  ;)

Ingredients: Rice flour, wheat starch, glycerin, calcium carbonate, gelatin, gum arabic, cellulose powder, natural poultry flavor, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, potassium chloride, potassium sorbate (a preservative), vitamins [choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), folic acid], smoke flavor, turmeric, iron oxide, copper sulfate.

Personally I think there are better ways  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
I don't give Toby Dentastixs, purely because of all the c**p in them.

Have you thought of a stag bar?
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/stagbar-antler-dog-chew-medium-96653

Excellent for teeth and completely natural.  

ETA, stag bars come in smaller sizes too which I think would be OK for a puppy (depending on age).

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
They're hardly going to say their own product is full of c**p and doesn't work :huh: They're trying to sell it. If you email Bakers no doubt they'll tell you that their food is great for your dog too. If you're happy to give them to your dog that's fine but there's no way that those ingredients are 'good', especially given that there are so many better alternatives available.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
Think I'll stick to pizzle sticks and nice, natural chews for Brodie ;)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
Well, they would say that wouldn't they :dunno:

I am sure McDonalds would say that there food is great to feed your child too  :shades:

Personally, I prefer to look at the ingredient list (not good) and make my own informed decision ie I would prefer to feed healthier, more natural treats than that sort of processed rubbish  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
Charlie has them once in a rare blue moon, but I don't like them. I find they get really sticky and get stuck in his fur so I never give him them. As for their teeth cleaning abilities, given how sticky they get I'd say they may clean but they might get stuck in their teeth too.

I clean Charlie's teeth instead  ph34r
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »
They are so expensive for what they are too  :-\ 
I can buy 35 fresh raw chicken carcasses, that are breakfast for my 4, lasting 2 weeks & provide more nutrition & teeth cleaning benefits than these sticks & cost far less  ;)
I'm quite lucky in that my vet is a firm believer in raw feeding & says this product & many like it, is just advertising hype  :police:

I have to admit to my lot recieving a large box of them for christmas & it being the only gift I was disappointed with when opened   :016:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
My two have a Dentastix each a day after the vet recommended it. After reading about a near catastrophe on Facebook where someone nearly lost their cocker due to feeding raw I've rather gone off that idea. None of the ingredients in Dentastix are harmful, they have been scientifically proven to improve dental health and the dogs love them. If it was just "advertising hype" it seems Mars are wasting an awful lot of money on extensive research and development when they could just up their marketing budget and bamboozle even more stupid vets and peope like me. Don't really understand why some people here are so vehemently anti any diet supplement etc they don't personally choose to give themselves; each to their own I say.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
My two have a Dentastix each a day after the vet recommended it. After reading about a near catastrophe on Facebook where someone nearly lost their cocker due to feeding raw I've rather gone off that idea. None of the ingredients in Dentastix are harmful, they have been scientifically proven to improve dental health and the dogs love them. If it was just "advertising hype" it seems Mars are wasting an awful lot of money on extensive research and development when they could just up their marketing budget and bamboozle even more stupid vets and peope like me. Don't really understand why some people here are so vehemently anti any diet supplement etc they don't personally choose to give themselves; each to their own I say.

Please link us to the 'scientific' proof  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with people feeding stuff like this to their own dogs; I'll freely admit I wouldn't give them to my dogs but if others are happy with it it's no skin off my nose. However if things like this are recommended as being 'good' it's part of the purpose of the forum to point out if there are better/healthier/more natural alternatives to others who may be reading the threads. In this case the alternatives aren't all raw either - natural chews like pizzles and ostrich tendons etc. aren't. Mars undoubtedly spend a fortune on r&d for their range of foods as well and most of that is also full of additives, fillers and unnecessary rubbish too. It's not going to kill the dog, same as the Dentastix, but there's much better stuff available.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for your views :blink:

Think I'll try one of those finger toothbrushes :dunno:

Mel.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
I use a baby toothbrush with liver flavoured toothpaste for my two  ;)

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
I use a baby toothbrush with liver flavoured toothpaste for my two  ;)

That's what I'm doing at the moment (but with poultry flavoured toothpaste) with Brodie as she is still on her very strict diet and not allowed her normal chews - she loves it :005:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
We give them to our dogs and they all have very white teeth. We don't often give bones as they can cause lots of sickness, with the marrow in.

I'm sure the ingredients list does not look too good, but living near the Pedigree factory and knowing folk who work there, the products they manufacture are extensively tested.

It's up to the individual though and I would never try to force my ideas on others, just pointing out the experience we have had. they get one as their bedtime treat after going out for their wee.