Author Topic: Dentastix are good for puppy teeth  (Read 16974 times)

Offline Lovely

Dentastix are good for dog's teeth
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
I think there are lots of different things you can do to optimise chance of your dog having clean teeth, and the range of options has been described in this thread. Unfortunately, some individual dogs are more prone to tooth decay than others, due to their genetic heritage and their mother's health when they were developing. Same is true of humans. Luckily hopefully our dogs are eating far less sugar and not smoking etc so don't generally have the problems we do. As long as they get the chance to have a good old chew on something non lethal on a regular basis, i don't think it's something to worry too much about.
Ali

Offline Darwin

Re: Dentastix are good for puppy teeth
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
I'm not a big fan of them, as Darwin can have a sensitive stomach.
Our Vet recommended them at our last visit.  I told him they're full of fat/cr**
He respects my views as he knows how closely I keep and eye on Darwin's weight
but recommends that I find something that a dog can chew on to help keep their teeth clean.
We've tried Stag Bars but Darwin is scared of the noise they make when he drops them on the wooden floor :doh:  The veg based tooth brushes etc are OK, but only as an once a week treat.
I'm not keen on the on the idea of natural chews such pizzles and ostrich tendons as I think they may be too rich.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
Our Vet recommended them at our last visit.  I told him they're full of fat/cr**
but recommends that I find something that a dog can chew on to help keep their teeth clean.
We've tried Stag Bars but Darwin is scared of the noise they make when he drops them on the wooden floor :doh:  The veg based tooth brushes etc are OK, but only as an once a week treat.
I'm not keen on the on the idea of natural chews such pizzles and ostrich tendons as I think they may be too rich.

We find pizzles are great. They are really lean. Both my dogs are sensitive to too much fat and don't do well with pigs ears, cheese etc but pizzles go down well.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »

We find pizzles are great. They are really lean. Both my dogs are sensitive to too much fat and don't do well with pigs ears, cheese etc but pizzles go down well.

Same here - pizzles, tripe sticks, cow ears, ostrich tendons, venison chews etc - all low fat and healthy and definitely not too rich :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
My two have a Dentastix each a day after the vet recommended it. After reading about a near catastrophe on Facebook where someone nearly lost their cocker due to feeding raw I've rather gone off that idea. None of the ingredients in Dentastix are harmful, they have been scientifically proven to improve dental health and the dogs love them. If it was just "advertising hype" it seems Mars are wasting an awful lot of money on extensive research and development when they could just up their marketing budget and bamboozle even more stupid vets and peope like me. Don't really understand why some people here are so vehemently anti any diet supplement etc they don't personally choose to give themselves; each to their own I say.

Out of interest how did the dog nearly die? Millie once choked really badly on a handful of kibble, there was nothing I could except stay with her and reassure her. Thank god she managed to clear it herself!

I have problems with plaque build up on Millie's teeth, she is raw fed now but there was so much to start with that I feel I'm fighting a losing battle! I occasionally give her a dentastix as they are perfect for  squeezing the logic toothpaste into the grooves so Millie gets it right on the back teeth  ;)

Millie

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
Milly and Chaz both LOVE stag bars. Chaz's is getting a real battering as he's getting rid of his puppy teeth at the moment. :luv: They also get a venison chew every couple of days.

They do get a Dentastix though, one a week, and they both like chomping on a piece of raw carrot every day or so. Milly actually likes her teeth being cleaned which I do once a week but Chaz still remains to be convinced. :005:...Getting there though. ;)

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »
We dont buy them for Ozzie at home but my nana buys them for him when he stays at hers during the day, his teeth are fine and very white, plus he enjoys the treats but we prefer to give him natural vegetable based chews from the vets with them being more healthy and no additive ingredients  :shades:

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
We give them to our dogs and they all have very white teeth. We don't often give bones as they can cause lots of sickness, with the marrow in.

I'm sure the ingredients list does not look too good, but living near the Pedigree factory and knowing folk who work there, the products they manufacture are extensively tested.

It's up to the individual though and I would never try to force my ideas on others, just pointing out the experience we have had. they get one as their bedtime treat after going out for their wee.

Hi JohnK

Could I ask how old and how long have you fed Dentastix to your dogs?

Mel.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
Ours have a variety of different chews, stag bars, rawhide, pizzles & even the odd denta stix, like us I think everything in moderation is fine what ever the ingredients. As in our 'human' diets I doubt any COL members eat & drink nothing but foods purely 100% healthy, no colourings, preservatives 24/7  :angel: as a pet owner it's completely your choice what you feed your dogs given the facts  :blink:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
Ours have a variety of different chews, stag bars, rawhide, pizzles & even the odd denta stix, like us I think everything in moderation is fine what ever the ingredients. As in our 'human' diets I doubt any COL members eat & drink nothing but foods purely 100% healthy, no colourings, preservatives 24/7  :angel: as a pet owner it's completely your choice what you feed your dogs given the facts  :blink:

Agree - well said  :D, moderation and common sense applicable to most situiations in life, I believe.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »

the products they manufacture are extensively tested.

Out of interest, how are they tested John? 
helen & jarvis x

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
From what I am told, they have their own dogs which all their products are tried on and although I can't confirm this, I understand even humans test them.

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
I could post a link to the PETA site which would show you some horrific ways that iams 'extensively' test their products.... Who knows if this is how pedigree test as well?

Chicken wings, carcasses and big recreational knuckle bones here for teeth cleaning.
Prior to feeding raw I would feed dental tic... Useless, 2 chomps and they were gone, no chewing involved.

Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
From what I am told, they have their own dogs which all their products are tried on and although I can't confirm this, I understand even humans test them.

I understand that many of the less "ethical" companies use caged animals to test their pet food - personally I find this unacceptable.  :'(  They could perfectly well use ordinary pet animals for this. :dunno:  I have read that Hills and Iams also do this as well as many others.  I am sure Bakers test their products too - it does not mean they are good, just that a dog will eat them which, as we all know if we have experience of a scavenging dog, means nothing  >:(

Still, as has been said, each to their own.  Many people eat nothing but junk food and feed it to their kids - I would not do that either but I realise it is totally my choice :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
Here's a link I sent to my parents who use to feed eukanuba http://www.occupyforanimals.org/iams--eukanuba-pet-food.html