Author Topic: yeast infection?  (Read 718 times)

Offline kellyamina

yeast infection?
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
hi everyone.
Ralph my 6 month old has always been a bit of an itchy dog. Not very badly so I havent been too concerned...mainly his back legs and around base of tail. Also have noticed he smells a little cheesy! If I remember rightly one of my old spaniels had this smell for a while and it was some kind of yeast skin thingy!
Like I said, its not too bad, and hes been like it since I got him, vet checked him over once before and couldnt find anything wrong....he also had very bad stomach when I got him, that lasted weeks and weeks, so not sure if he has food allergies etc, he now has food with no cereal, grain etc.
Anyway, hes going to vets in a week for his 6 month check up so I shall mention it again then, in the meantime has anyone any advice to help the itching and smell... or advice perhaps on different foods I could try. At the moment he has fishmongers salmon and potato, and applaws.
Thanks!

Offline bluemoonrose

Re: yeast infection?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »
We've had this problem with Ollie. I came across this video about 2 months ago and have been following the advice since with increasing success I think. Also read about adding a little apple cider vinegar to the drinking water can help and has the added benefit supposedly of helping reduce the occurrence of brown patches on the lawn. I can't tell if that's the case as there's been so much rain any wee is greatly diluted and grass is looking very green!  :005:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gl_X1I1GJ1Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dgl_X1I1GJ1Q

Ollie was on fish4dogs salmon & potato until they changed the formula recently; after seeing the video above I looked for a biologically appropriate grain free diet and came across Eden.  He's on that now and seems so much better. Coat is glossier, eyes are not gunky, itching/scratching almost stopped, nibbling paws much less, doesn't smell yeasty anymore. I would say it's as good a response as when we previously raw fed him.

http://edenpetfoods.com/

I think this constantly wet weather doesn't help as their feet in particular always seem damp, perfect for yeast to thrive.

I'm happy with results so far, hope you find the solution that works for you.

Offline kellyamina

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
Thanks...think Ill try Eden...and maybe the vinegar rinse, and get some anti fungal shampoo from vet next week. He doesnt itch too badly at all, mainly when he gets up on my lap for a cuddle he'll bite at his back legs and tail a little...but the smell, although not too strong, it isnt nice!
Did your dog suffer with bad stomach at all too?

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
In the distant past, yes he did. But it seemed diets with lamb in didn't suit his tummy. That was how we came to move onto fish4dogs. That helped his tummy but we still had issues with itches, gunky eyes, yeasty ears. We do also give Bionic Biotic as a precaution really, that helps maintain the natural gut flora and other benefits.

Offline kellyamina

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
Ralph has bionic biotic...tho I dont remember to give it him every day.
Hes got a terrible tummy today since I introduced applaws....that could possibly be the lamb in it, so will take him off that, back onto the fishmongers until the eden arrives, and gradually introduce that.
The things we do for our dogs huh!  :blink:

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »
Where do you buy your Eden dog food from ?

Offline kellyamina

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
I just ordered mine online http://edenpetfoods.com/

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Yes I order mine offline, there are only a few shops stocking it around the country. Delivery is very quick and if you join the Facebook group their nutritionist is available to chat to. Sometimes I find their comments about other foods a bit ott, but then they believe they have the best product so I guess that goes with the territory. I'm happy with the results so far, it's suiting my dogs and that's what matters to me.