Author Topic: Yellow dog vest  (Read 980 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Yellow dog vest
« on: May 31, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
Have just brought one for Gemma. She gets a bit snappy when other dogs put their nose close to hers. we always warn owners but because their dogs are friendly they seem to think that Gem wont react. My worry is though that she will be seen as a totally nasty dog not to be approached by either man or beast.
this reaction is something that she has started in the last year or so, never used to be like it. the strange thing is that when she is in the beaters van with all the other dogs she is fine ish, its just when she is out on the lead. We always put her on the lead if other dogs are coming near because we dont know what she would do if off lead, and we dare not have a trial go

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Yellow dog vest
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
When we adopted DAsiy we knew se was reactive to other dogs, and I mentioned to our trainer about the yellow dog scheme and she didn't seem too keen.  I think she was of the same opinion as you.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
I'm thinking about it for Luka who is quite fearful of other dogs and also snaps if they come too close, even if they are friendly and he's not actually barking. I've tried him meeting an approaching dog off the lead, but his reaction was the same as on the lead (hytsterical barking) and he ended up rolling over and over downhill as he fell over his feet trying to get away when the dog growled at him. So it's on the lead from now on.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
I have no actual experience of these but have thought about one for Maddie as she gets worried by dogs getting close to her. However, I did read that a wearing anything can actually atract people as they want to see what it says. You just can't win!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
well Gemma has her asbo yellow jacket.  had to send the small size back and exchange for a XS. they are small and fit quite snugly
she does wear it . it has made a difference, today she was not invited into the dog exercise area in the park not that we would have joined them anyway. hopefully when we get there first, people will not just open the gate and let their dog off lead before we can get Gemma safe. 
that does sound abit  offish but usually if a dog is in there people will not enter unless invited.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
I'm finding it interesting with having two dogs now..... Watching them together and how they interact with other dogs, or rather, that most of the time they don't bother!

We were invited to the North West GSP Club AGM and training day (whole different training method to spaniels  :005:) and took part in training.  The first exercise is to condition the dogs to ignore others when out and about, especially when working on a shoot!

I guess that's why Gemma doesn't have an issue in the beaters wagon but does with "pets" who have no manners  ;)