Author Topic: Ear infection....reoccurring  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Ear infection....reoccurring
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Hi ......hope someone can advise me.

Blue has an ongoing Yeast infection in his ears I just can't seem to cure. It goes after treatment then comes back within a few weeks.

He's had the works at the Vet, steriods; numerous courses of antibiotics; ears flushed; I've cleaned them every day for weeks and  Surolan drops twice a day. There always seems to be brown junk in his ears whatever the Vet does.

Low and behold I've had his mum at the Vet last week, shes got it too. Its becoming a nightmare constant ear infections. I've bought some Zymox cleaner which is supposed to help but no luck yet.
The Surolan drops are like syrup its all over the inside of their ears, however much I wipe off the excess.

If anyone has had this problem and knows how to get rid of it once and for all I'd be very grateful!
They are raw fed and only have natural treats, tripe sticks, carrots and so on. I'm sure these infections are not linked to their diet.

Thanks!!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Ear infection....reoccurring
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »
Touch wood we have had no problem with Dexter. But in the past with my Jack Russell we had problems. The only stuff that worked with no re-infection was Thornit powder. You can get this from Amazon and as it is a powder it does not build up moisture in the ears. It also has a slight numbing effect so will help with the pain. It has a very pleasing antiseptic smell which should not be off putting.

I hope this helps as I know it can be such a worry.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »
Another fan of Thornit here - have used it as a preventative ever since I have had Coco and recommended it to numerous others with good results.  ;)

You won't get it from a vet but it is a lot cheaper than some of the ear treatments they prescribe  :D  There is a thread about Thornit here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=5851.0

You can buy it from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thornit-Ear-Powder-20-g/dp/B00560R08Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1440331915&sr=1-1&keywords=thornit+ear+powder

Julie and Watson

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
Yes I use thornit powder on Lexi whenever I see to much ear scratching, great stuff. Got mine on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk [emoji4]

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
Thanks! I've got some Thornit powder now and keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »
Hope the Thornit's dose the job, Bea had exactly the same issue and it turned out she is allergic to cheese!

No more hiding tablets in smelly cheese for my girl :D