Author Topic: Sleeping a LOT  (Read 710 times)

Offline xionone

• Spango
Sleeping a LOT
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
Hi, My (intact) 6 1/2 month CS bitch has always been a bit of a napper. However over last week or two she has been sleeping all day after our short morning walk/stroll - and doesn't eat her 'breakfast' until after 17.00, and 'dinner' at 23.00 or later - she has preferred two meals per day for about a month. She wakes naturally at about 09.00 (pee time) in the morning and goes to bed about 00.30...01.00.
It's now 17.30 she hasn't yet eaten breakfast and just starting to become active after sleeping/dozing from 10.30 this morning!
We have a short evening walk/stroll and she is always enthusiastic to go. After her eve' walk she will be active with her toys and responds well to training for a few hours.
It has been hot weather for the last few days (26.5C today) but she is not panting or showing any signs of overheating whilst sleeping or during her daytime awake but quiet moments.
I am single, no kids in house, and work quietly at home (on my laptop/PC) and thought she may be 'learning the pack dynamic' - ie very quiet.
However I am now wondering if she is entering puberty and the 'odd'(?) behaviour may be linked to that (teens sleeping in all day!). It may be a bit early at 6 1/2 months and 10Kg (thin figure, no 'puppy fat').
I consider myself VERY lucky to have such a quiet lil' girl, but as this is my first dog I wanted to make sure her behaviour is within the 'norm'.
Thanks for any comments.
D

Offline rubyduby

Re: Sleeping a LOT
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
mmm I know youngsters sleep a lot , they are usually pretty frenetic once they are awake , seems a little overly long sleep time, personally I would get her checked out at the vet....

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Dogs can easily sleep for twelve to fourteen hours a day with puppies and elderly dogs sleeping longer.

They tend to sleep when there's nothing else for them to do, either a deep sleep with dreams etc. or a lighter dozing type of sleep where they can be instantly alert to anything out of the usual, interesting to them or the arrival of food  :005:.

If you're really concerned or there's a sudden change to her pattern of activity it may help to have your vet check her out to dismiss any possibility of thyroid problems and put your mind at ease.

Bob.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
Tend to agree with Rubyduby. Humphrey's been a picky with his food this weather and gets tired quicker but at 6 1/2 months, I'd have expected a young dog to be a bit more active. It could indeed be, that she is just laid back and if that's the case, yes, you're the envy of many of us !  ;) but as she's still in the developing stage, I think if she was mine, I'd have a word with the vet, just to be on the. safe side

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »
A vet check will not hurt, but the weather may be having a part in her behaviour as it has been so hot recently. I hope that everything is ok and that you report back that she is back to normal once the weather breaks.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Henry has moved into a similar pattern, but he's 11 months. I'm assuming he's coming to the end of his more puppy phase of needing several long, deep sleeps during the day. He mooches around when we all get up in the morning (6:30, which is much too early for him!). He gets a one hour walk and then his breakfast at 11. He'll have a solid 2 hours sleep in his crate then - I put him in the crate so I can go out then if I need to. When he gets up he is much less active than he used to be as a young pup, just mooching or lying at my feet, and doing the fast asleep / totally awake thing. He used to need another long deep sleep in the afternoon, but he's much less active now in the afternoon so is good with his small naps. He has a 30 minute walk and his dinner between 6 and 7pm and will then be full of beans and a total menace until 8:30 when he goes to bed and sleeps for a solid 10-11 hours.

In total he's probably sleeping 14 hours out of 24. Maybe tot up how much sleep she is getting in total. If she is up from early evening until gone midnight, that sounds like her active time of day (or night!). I'd agree though a vet check is always a good idea.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:10 PM »
Toby is 5 .5 months and he tends to sleep quite a lot during the day, he alternates between being really active and acting like a loon and when tired he puts himself in his crate and dozes off to recharge his batteries ready for the next bit of action. He does have an enforced rest between feeding and exercise or he tends to puke up his food (and then try to eat it  :020:

Minstrel and Branston also have been lazing around more and sleeping on these hotter days. Minstrel sometimes goes without his breakfast when it is really hot.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »
The recent hot weather put Blue (16 weeks) right off his din dins!  I've now realised he'll only eat when it's cool enough to go to sleep to digest it, which has meant a bit of adjustment on my part.  I've reduced him to twice daily feeds, early am and evening, and this seems to be working.
Must say I am very envious of any of you having a pup that sleeps all through the night; Blue is still going out for a wee at 03.30, and up 'for good' at 05.30.  After nearly 6 weeks of it, I'm exhausted!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
Ollie is 8 years old and this last week has seen him very out of character, turning his nose up at food, lying in different places round the house..........generally out of sorts, and not only is it the heat but the humidity and I think it is both combined that are leading our furry friends being out of sorts.

I would see how the anticipated cooler weather this week finds her, if still the same maybe a visit to the vets.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
Your dog sounds very like Maddie. She is not a playful dog unless food is involved and seems quite content just sleeping all day. She is five now.
 I must admit I found this very strange as our other spaniels have been live wires! But it sounds like your dog matches your life style which is good.
She could be entering puberty and having a season soon. I do remember Maddie sleeping more around that time. In fact it was after the season that she became quieter and happy to sleep all day. She also had a phase of not eating at about ten months which eventually passed.
But, if you feel concerned I think visiting the vet will put your mind at rest.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble