Author Topic: Anyone used Bought By Many (currently feel ripped off by MoreThan)  (Read 3113 times)

Offline PennyB

Anyone used Bought by Many for their pet insurance - am peed off that the one year my dog has an illness (he was investigated for hypothyroidism etc. so was about 3 blood tests, and 2 skin biopsies as he'd lost fur [and put on loads of weight and had effectively slowed down even though he is only 6 years old] so needed to check it wasn't something else). MoreThan have changed his insurance premiums by putting them up by just over 100% as a result.

I guess I need to speak to my vet re ongoing issues re his illness if they can occur as its well managed by tablets at moment that cost pennies (which I don't claim for anyway).

When Bosley my other dog had his cataracts op it cost 4 grand (with petplan) and they just put insurance premium up by inflation. I think last year I claimed a total of about 600 quid re Jasper and they're now wanting over 100% more in premiums
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Anyone used Bought By Many (currently feel ripped off by MoreThan)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
I cancelled my insurance with them last year.  I never had a claim and they increased the cover to £90 per month.  When I first insured with them they promised a reduction for no claims.
Pet insurance is a minefield so I am now putting money away for mine.  Fortunately, my two have been fine so I have saved over £1,000 this year.
When I had Henry I was with John Lewis and they were fine but costly.  Henry had Epilepsy and then Cancer.  He was PTS at seven and John Lewis covered everything.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
I think most pet insurances are the same  >:D
I previously had Sainsburys until my girls were about 7 and the price rose ridiculously.
I then swapped to More Than who were excellent until my girls became 12 and then the premiums were extortionate and I still had to pay an large percentage of any vet treatment. I simply couldn’t afford to continue with them.
I cancelled the policies but still put the previous premium amount into an emergency fund.
With my new addition, I am with John Lewis and whilst the premiums are still low, I am able to pay them and start to put extra money into a bank account which can hopefully build up so that when she reaches an age when pet insurance is unaffordable I will have a back up.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
I was with More than for Fizz and Riley before they increased the premiums out of all proportion so found Purely Pets. I joined them on 16th January 2018 and sadly lost  5 year old Riley to heart failure (no previous history) on the 25th, 1 day after the qualifying period. They were marvellous and sent a lovely letter and paid in full. The policy was then cancelled. I would highly recommend them.

Because of her age (10 at the time) I only had Fizz covered for accidents knowing that I could probably cover any medical incidents, which thankfully there weren't any before I lost her to old age last May.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
Sorry, I got the start date wrong - it was 10th January.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »
I am with Bought by Many and so far am extremely impressed.  Maisie will be 3 on Boxing Day and has been insured with them for about 16 months.  I have only had Maisie for 18 months as she is a rescue.  She had only been insured for about 5 weeks when she decided to take my mobile phone from the kitchen worktop when I was otherwise occupied. (Many COL members will know that Maisie has been quite a challenge).   She took the phone into her crate and gave it a damn good chewing.  This was around lunch time on a Saturday, after my vets had closed.  They are only open until 12.00 on Saturdays.  So I had to go to an emergency vet.  They gave Maisie an injection to make her sick and thank God all that came up were some small pieces of leather from the phone case.  The bill came to £550  :huh:  I honestly thought I would have a real problem because Maisie had been insured with Bought by Many for such a short period.  I was completely wrong.  They paid the claim, less the excess, within around 2 weeks.  To be honest I was astounded.  The premiums have only gone up couple of pounds a month so at the moment I am very impressed. 

My previous spaniel was insured with More Than for most of his life and the problems I had with them when he had surgery to remove two cysts were ridiculous.  It was the first time I had claimed and it took months before they settled the claim.  Lots of queries and form filling with my vet.  The premiums increased considerably year on year. 

I can only comment on my personal experience but at the moment I have no complaints about Bought by Many.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »
My puppy and cat are insured with Bought by Many and I have no complaints. I haven't had to make a claim on my dog, but have made a few claims on my cat who was quite a poorly boy when he was younger. Always found them easy to talk to and deal with and claims were handled quickly. They did try to raise the monthly cost on my cat this year (for the first time as he just had his 10th birthday) but as we wanted the dog covered too, we agreed a good price on joint cover.

I've heard good things about John Lewis pet insurance too so might be worth comparing them both.