Author Topic: Older Dog Insurance  (Read 3503 times)

Offline dawn

Older Dog Insurance
« on: February 13, 2022, 07:01:22 PM »
Henry has reached the ripe old age of 11!  :luv:

Apart from recently diagnosed PRA, and a few lumps, he is in the best of health. We have never made a claim. No sign yet of arthritis.

His insurance premiums has jumped to £77 per month, (£924 per year), £150 excess and 15% of any bill. It’s lifetime cover up to £3000. Not a great amount, but at his age, I’m not sure we would want to put him through any large procedures. My biggest worry is an accident due to his failing sight.

I was wondering wether to cancel his insurance. If we had a bill for £3000, after paying £924 premiums, £150 excess and 15%, it would only be worth £1,476. We would be paying the rest, £924 + £150 + £450 (15%).

I thought of accident only cover, £13 per month,  and saving the rest. But an accident caused by his blindness wouldn’t be covered, as it’s a pre existing condition.  >:D

Any thoughts? Did your elderly dogs empty your bank account? How much are your premiums?

Insurance is such a minefield!

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Older Dog Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 11:42:55 AM »
It isn't worth continuing with an older dog.  I have cancelled the insurance for my two as it was becoming uneconomic to continue.  It was £90 per month last year so I guess it would have been over £100 per month, as Jamie will be nine this year.  I have never had a claim for Jamie and I hope he remains healthy.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 12:52:09 PM »
I too cancelled the insurance when my previous precious girls reached 12.  The cost of the premiums were just too high,  the cover was less  AND I had to make a contribution towards the vet’s bill.
I put my previous premium cost into a separate bank account and that paid for Marley’s thyroid medications and twice yearly blood costs and I had money left over.
With my new puppy, I am only going to pay insurance up to 5 years and as it is at low cost at the moment, put extra money into a bank account so it can build up until I stop the insurance altogether.
I have worked out that even if I just saved £50 a month for 5 years, I should have a pot of £3000.  I will keep adding to it each month too with the previous insurance premium amount.
Of course, it is always a gamble to go without insurance and you have to work out if you are willing to take the risk.  I knew that when I cancelled Marley and Stevie’s insurance at the age of 12 that I wasn’t going to put them through extensive invasive operations, not because I didn’t love them but because I loved them too much  :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »
I too cancelled, Ollie was coming up to 14 and hubby and I felt we did not want further invasive test etc that needed sedation.

So far we have just his monthly meds which I are under a tenner per month and recently he had a urine infection which needed tests, the cost would not have reached the insurance threshold so what is the point, plus Ollie was 11 before we made or first claim.

I would certainly have a dog insured but felt the decision was right for us.

Ollie loves his vet and trotts off happily with her, and as long as I see him happy and content and as now wanting his tea I know I made the right decision.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »
Yep same here. As they get older so the premiums and other costs were just going stupid.

Did you know that if you become a member of Dogs Trust (£12.50 pa for over 60's) your membership includes Third Party but not injury or health problems - Insurance. Just in case anyone is interested
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 08:44:27 PM »
Yep same here. As they get older so the premiums and other costs were just going stupid.

Did you know that if you become a member of Dogs Trust (£12.50 pa for over 60's) your membership includes Third Party but not injury or health problems - Insurance. Just in case anyone is interested

didn't know that.  another bonus for us ancient ones  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline dawn

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 11:17:56 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

I think we’ll cancel it and save the money….fingers crossed he won’t have an injury this year. 😂

I knew about the Dogs Trust, I’ll look into that again.

Lovely to see some familiar names from when he was a puppy too!

D xx