Author Topic: Muzzel (against scavenging) and other dogs  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Muzzel (against scavenging) and other dogs
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:28:45 AM »
Hi,
Salty has been wearing a 'Baskerville' anti-scavenging muzzel for a couple of weeks now. http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=121196.msg1727599#msg1727599
It's great, he is not a fan but its ok, and I feel safer now the processionary caterpillars are coming down from the trees
However, a big dominant dog that the owners let roam free came over as we were out walking (Salty on lead) and, although they are normally pretty friendly together (if the other gets too dominant Salty snaps and she lies on her back, he is always on lead), this time the other didnt back off and I had to pull salty up by the harness out of harms way as things escalated.

So, question is - can muzzles reduce safety of Salty in this way if, for example he meets aggressive dogs on the beach if I let him off lead?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Muzzel (against scavenging) and other dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 11:50:06 AM »
Hi,
Salty has been wearing a 'Baskerville' anti-scavenging muzzel for a couple of weeks now. http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=121196.msg1727599#msg1727599
It's great, he is not a fan but its ok, and I feel safer now the processionary caterpillars are coming down from the trees
However, a big dominant dog that the owners let roam free came over as we were out walking (Salty on lead) and, although they are normally pretty friendly together (if the other gets too dominant Salty snaps and she lies on her back, he is always on lead), this time the other didnt back off and I had to pull salty up by the harness out of harms way as things escalated.

So, question is - can muzzles reduce safety of Salty in this way if, for example he meets aggressive dogs on the beach if I let him off lead?

It could be that Salty looked different and perhaps threatening to the other dog, maybe each sent off different signals to normal, not really sure. Not had a big problem with this and Branston but then the muzzle is practically the same colour as him.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Re: Muzzel (against scavenging) and other dogs
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 02:50:46 PM »
My take on it is that salty and this dog have a pretty dominant-dominant kind of relationship and when the other one realised he couldnt nip her with his snarls took advantage :)