Author Topic: Allergies and itchy skin  (Read 4721 times)

Offline sophie.ivy

Allergies and itchy skin
« on: May 10, 2022, 09:56:53 AM »
My 9 month old started losing the fur around her eyes at 7-8 months, licking her paws, and itching her ears/eyes. We took her to the vets and they think it's allergies - most likely environmental (grass seed/pollen) but they can't say for sure. They put her on x3 piriton a day and a Nutramega capsule at night. She also has a couple of pumps of salmon oil in the morning. It's working quite well and the fur around her eyes has grown back (thank goodness as she was looking permanently startled without it!!)

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't love giving her so many anti-histamines every day and was wondering if it will get better with age or as hayfever season ends?

One of the side effects of the piriton is drowsiness, but no sign of that so far! Must not have tested it on spaniels...!

Offline Toofast

Re: Allergies and itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 06:59:57 PM »
It could be a food allergy. It is not un heard of that a grain based food can account for many types of allergies.
Often a diet change to a no grain product, and this includes RICE, can put an end to so many allergies.
Itches, chewing/licking body areas and waxy ears are just a few problems that can be solved by changing to grain free. It costs nothing to change a diet and I would suggest trying raw. It could save you lot's of vet bills, a happier dog and happier you. Of course only you can make the decision to change or not.                         We can only leave a suggestion.

Please read the attachment about our vets knowledge of dog diets.

http://rawfed.com/myths/vets.html

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 07:13:55 PM »
Did the vet test her for environmental allergies, or is it a tentative diagnosis based on symptoms? There is a blood test that can give an indication for this, nextmune does them, maybe other labs as well. Another option that should be ruled out first is food allergies. A pretty common type of food allergy in dogs is hypersensitivity to specific animal protein sources. She would have to stay on a strict hypoallergenic diet (sold at vets) for at least 8 weeks to test if she has food allergies. Food allergies can often be managed with diet alone. And after doing an elimination diet with help from your vet you can usually be less strict about the diet as you learn what will cause a reaction and not. There are different treatment options for environmental allergies available once/if food allergies are ruled out. I would definitely trust the vets guidance on how to treat your dog, every case is different. But for dogs with atopic dermatitis (allergic reactions to enviromental factors) there are options like immune therapy or monthly injections (developed specifically for use in dogs) to stop itchiness. You could always ask your vet about it :) Antihistamines are pretty safe in humans though, hopefully they are the same for dogs. But it's good to know there are options if the symptoms carry on. Not sure if they can grow out of it, but humans can so why not. And dogs can definitely have seasonal allergies like us.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
It could be a food allergy. It is not un heard of that a grain based food can account for many types of allergies.
Often a diet change to a no grain product, and this includes RICE, can put an end to so many allergies.
Itches, chewing/licking body areas and waxy ears are just a few problems that can be solved by changing to grain free. It costs nothing to change a diet and I would suggest trying raw. It could save you lot's of vet bills, a happier dog and happier you. Of course only you can make the decision to change or not.                         We can only leave a suggestion.

Please read the attachment about our vets knowledge of dog diets.

http://rawfed.com/myths/vets.html

Having read most - not all (too long winded) - I would say this seems most  likely to refer to vets in the USA, not sure it applies to ALL vets everywhere and personally would not use it to persuade my thinking on RAW feeding..... or vets, altho the choice of course is up to each individual.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 08:40:09 AM »
Thank you for your replies  :luv:

The vet thought it was environmental as she has no digestive issues and it's affecting her face and paws so likely to be something she's walking on/sticking her face in. No tests were offered though and I did push them a bit on this...but didn't know about the blood tests so I think I need to go back and push it again! If it is environmental then I know there's not a huge amount I can do about that (aside from wiping her face/paws after walks) and will feel happier keeping on with the piriton.

The vet did mention injections now you mention it, but they didn't want to give them to her whilst she was still a puppy. Hopefully, that's a good solution for the future.

If it's food allergies then that seems like it would be easier to manage and she's about to move from puppy to adult food so I have an opportunity to change it up for her. I wouldn't go raw or fresh - nothing against it as I know quite a few other dog owners who swear by it, but I just don't have the space to store it!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 08:29:28 PM »
They can get skin issues from food allergies too, but it's probably more common with ears, paws and armpit/groin region. It does sound logical the way your vet explained it though. And if it is something she comes in contact with outside, then it's hopefully seasonal :) This is an informative site for info about allergy in pets.
https://nextmune.com/gb/allergy-in-dogs-and-cats-pet-parent/

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
Thank you Mari!

I do like our vets, but this has made me realise they could have been a bit more helpful with offering the blood test. I'm going to book her in for another appointment and mention the Next+ blood test then. Luckily, she loves going to the vets as they make a fuss of her and give her cheese! Unlike my shetland sheepdogs growing up, she pulls into the vets when we walk past :005:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
A friend of mine had a black lab that had similar problems, turned out she was allergic to a particular tree pollen, can't remember exactly which tree as it was a while ago and the dog is no longer with us, could have been birch trees. They travelled to Edinburgh vet school each spring for an injection which saw her through the relevant period.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 09:41:32 AM »
Just as a bit of an update, Ivy is on steroids now as the scratching was getting really bad and she was getting rashes on her chest and losing more hair. She was so restless in the evenings too and just seemed so agitated - poor little mite! The anti-histamines seemed to lose effectiveness over time unfortunately. The vet said they wouldn't recommend an allergy test until she's closer to 18 months as apparently the things puppies are allergic to can change as they're still growing.

She did do a hypoallergenic food trial to check it wasn't a food allergy, but it didn't make a difference (it did make a difference to my wallet though!! :005:). Vet is pretty sure it's pollen/grass especially as it's so bad now, but we'll do the allergy test in 6 months to find out for sure.

I can tell that she's already more comfortable and settled, and I didn't see her scratch once yesterday so that's great! The steroids do make her drink and wee more, but I'll take that over seeing her so uncomfortable. It's not a long-term solution, but will get us through the summer! We're off to Devon soon for another little break in the camper with her so hopefully, we can all relax a bit there  :shades:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 10:44:14 AM »
Glad to read your update and see she is more settled, yep steroids do have that effect, my boy is over 14 and  but it is to give quality of life to his old age and others health issues  plus he has a water tablet too - so double waterworks  :005:, just wanted to mention Ollie appetite is manic on steroids and because of his age and being sedentary has gained weight....

Enjoy Devon my dearest OH is in Devon today and staying over night what a job - but he insists it no fun driving in the heat.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 08:29:34 PM »
That is good you have a solution for now, and if she is comfortable that is the main thing.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 08:59:43 AM »
Sounds like a good explanation too from your vet as what happens in adults isn't always the same re pups who are still growing and changing. Also sometimes vets like GPs want to do a step approach rather than throw everything at things at once. Hope your pup grows out of it
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 09:01:21 AM »
One thing to ask about is Demodex mites, as these mites do affect around the eyes and feet and can show similar symptoms plus they are often seen in young dogs too
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »
Thank you for your kind replies!

Agree about the steroids for a quality of life, the extra trips to the garden aren't the end of the world and after months of trying to teach her one, Ivy has finally found her 'I need a wee NOW' cue (it's lying down on the runner by the door looking at me sadly!)

That's interesting you mentioned Demodex mites Penny as that's exactly what my friend with cockers said to me when she saw Ivy last. She said one of her girls had it when she was a pup and Ivy's eyes looked similar.

I'll mention it when I'm next there, which seems to be every other week at the moment  :005:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
Sadly there is no allergy test that is accurate, and that includes the blood test, I would avoid hypo allergenic food, its a con, also any kibble of any sort as this can cause allergies in itself and is not the best dog food, go raw, then at least you can eliminate all the additives in tinned  and kibble