Author Topic: Cocker in full coat - how?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Cocker in full coat - how?
« on: June 15, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »
Hi,
I bathed Elsa yesterday. The bath won’t empty now. It’s tiled in with no access to plumbing. I bailed it out at midnight.

Today Elsa took her first dip in the muddiest part of the river and now stinks like a sewer. On top of that I’ve just removed over 80 sticky ball seeds from her front leg(left), thankfully she likes a good combing. There are 100’s to go.

How an earth do you manage to keep a cocker in full coat please? I didn’t think this would be easy but I didn’t think it’d be this hard either!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Cocker in full coat - how?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 06:01:32 PM »
 :005: simple answer? With much difficulty!!  :shades:
I‘d not brushed/combed Humph for a week as we‘ve been really busy  and boy did I pay for it yesterday - or rather poor Humph did! (Only wish my hair‘d grow at that rate! ) :lol: I didn‘t even manage to finish him last night as we were both getting frustrated so it’s round 2 this evening  :'(
Those sticky ball seeds are indeed a nightmare although luckily I haven’t encountered any yet this year, I usually get those out with that brush I recommended  before but whatever you use, they‘re a real pain! We‘‘re currently waging war with the ticks which have been really really bad this year as its been both warm and damp. After walking him last week I picked off 14 (FOURTEEN!!!) that were still promenading over his head and luckily hadn’t attached but on average I‘ve been removing 4 or 5 every day since mid May. ( I have a tick removing gadget and a roll of sellotape permanently parked on the coffee table, - I trap them in the tape, fold it over and then take my revenge with a paper weight, I‘m afraid they bring out the worst in me!  >:D >:D  :lol2:)
I really think the only way to stay on top of it all is to thoroughly comb through every single day - although I admit that I don’t  manage it more than a couple of times a week.
By the way, I‘ve seen videos of the coat king (or furminator) being used while the dogs are in the bath but I‘m never very sure if that‘s ok - wet (human) hair is apparently more vulnerable to damage? I‘ve combed Humphrey while he‘s still damp and lots more hair comes out, so maybe that’s worth a try?
Just realized I‘ve been rambling a bit  but maybe you‘ll find something useful in there! :005: :005:
x

Offline flip flop

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
I’m struggling John! It’s usually sticky bobs that I’m picking out, but today it was burs… lots of them.

I’ve a blue roan and the two colours in his coat seem to grow at different rates, and only the white appears to fall out… it’s everywhere. He had a full strip just a few weeks ago and looks like a scruff mess already.

I’m teetering on the edge of buying a coat king. I’m never going to show my boy, and it would save so much time!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 06:28:19 PM »
I like Dylan in full coat, I used to clip previous cockers, but I've come to,prefer the longer look rather than the shorn lamb. I use the clippers on his head, top and iside the ears, his chest and round the bum. About every six weeks, he is a dark blue roan and his coat grows like smoke. I do use a coat king on the back, to keep it down and get out the dead hair.
Daily routine is on the table, a good going over with a stiff bristle brush, then the comb. Takes about ten minutes. Then teeth clean, and twice a week a lip,fold bathe with hibiscrub. If I keep on top of it every day he doesn't get knotty, apart from armpits where the harness goes, so I trim them with scissors.
I thank my lucky stars he hates water, when I see the state other dogs get into in the country park I feel quite smug that he goes home as clean as he went out! :lol2:.
This sticky Willie balls are a pain though.
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful replies, I’m sure I replied ages ago but I can’t have pressed the ‘post’ button. Sorry.

14 ticks! Jeez, is the tick season over yet? I shouldn’t moan about removing sticky balls as I sure am not looking forward to tick practise! I know what you mean about paying the price of leaving grooming out, I can’t leave Elsa for a day now as the tangles turn into huge mats. I’m ordering the brush that you use today!

How are you getting on Flip Flop? We’ve got the spiky Burs too, I think I prefer the sticky balls. Did you get the coat king? If so are you liking it?

Lesley, thanks for describing your routine, I like the full coat too but it’s a challenge! I groom Peanut and Elsa on the table now, it’s far easier on my back, thank you! Elsa looks like a walking mop so needs about 30 mins daily, Peanut doesn’t really need much so I pretend to do the same but it’s more of a light comb and cuddle. Neither are brilliant with teeth cleaning but getting better.
You are so lucky that Dylan doesn’t bother with water!

I’ve booked in for grooming lessons. Attempted to scissor Elsa’s feet two months ago and cut into my thumb pad even though they are safety scissors. I daren’t try again without instructions.