Author Topic: scabby  (Read 2463 times)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
scabby
« on: September 15, 2022, 11:29:13 AM »
Morgan (now 14 ) has developed a dark scabby patch about quarter way down on his tail and the hair in that area is thinning quite a lot. The vet isn't concerned and said it's something that can happen to older entire dogs but it can become infected so keep it clean with Hibiscrub. I can't find anything online about it, should have asked the vet for more information, is it hormonal? what's the condition called?
Even though he's got arthritis and now cataracts and is very deaf he's still such a bouncy Tiggerish dog with a constant waggy tail. Every day is a bonus  :luv: :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: scabby
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 02:52:19 PM »
Gosh where did that time go, I can remember Morgan becoming part of your family.

Pleased to read that in his advancing years he still a bouncy boy.

Can't help with the scabby tail, but I hope it heals up quick smartish.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 03:05:11 PM »
My two old ladies got this when they grew older.  Marley lost nearly all the hair on her tail, it started with just a small circle in the middle of her tail and just seemed to spread out.  It didn’t bother her or the vets, it just didn’t look very nice.  Stevie (her litter sister) also developed a bald spot in the middle of her tail but it started later than Marley’s and thus didn’t get the chance to spread out.  Both girls had a half dock so baldness was limited to the shortness of their tails.  Both my girls were spayed after their second season so don’t think it was hormonal in their case.
Luckily the appearance didn’t stop their tails from wagging or bother them in the slightest.
Cherish every moment with Morgan (as I am sure you do).  I won’t ever get over the  loss of Marley and Stevie as they were so special to me.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 11:28:47 AM »
Thank you for your input both. Interesting that it happened to spayed females as well, just one more thing to add to the list of aging issues along with the pesky warts  >:D poor Morgan has quite a few of those now.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope