Author Topic: Hand reared two week old pup  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Amandawils

Hand reared two week old pup
« on: August 26, 2022, 08:50:46 PM »
Hi,

I’m new to the forum and after some advice from you lovely lot. 

We have kept Cockers for the last 30 years but this is the first litter we have had.  My girl, Clova, had a litter 15 days ago, she had 11!  All were a good weight, the two smallest were 10.5oz at birth.  Pups were vet checked within 12 hours of birth and we were told they all looked good.  When we weighed at 24 hours we realised that one of the 10.5oz boy’s had lost weight and gone down to 9.9oz, we then watched him suckle, cleared a back teat for him and found that he could not latch on so we realised we would have to intervene.  He struggled with a bottle so we went down to a syringe and started feeding every 2/3 hours.  Pup has been putting on weight ever since and is now up to 19oz. Pup doesn’t seem interested in milk though, he doesn’t cry for it, he struggles with the syringe and even though he constantly tries to latch onto mum he can’t.  He is very mobile, like the others he’s trying to walk and his eyes have just opened, it’s just his feeding that is an issue.  Has anybody else had experience with this ?

Thank you Amanda

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hand reared two week old pup
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 08:58:05 PM »
No advice unfortunately although I‘m sure someone will be along soon who can advise. just wanted to wish you and the little one all the best, do hope he‘ll be ok.   :luv: :luv:

Offline Amandawils

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 08:59:39 PM »
Thank you, I hope so too as I’m becoming too attached.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
Can't offer any advice, but wishing you and the little ones a safe 'journey'  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.