Author Topic: Could it be LImber tail...anyone ?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline rubyduby

Could it be LImber tail...anyone ?
« on: August 26, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
My old Cocker (12) Topaz, as suddenly stopped wagging her tail, it just hangs straight down, she has had no damage to it and she doesnt move fast enough to have done any area strain, she suffers greatly with the heat, so moves relatively slowly . All the info I have on the condition implies it is common in young males who exercise a lot???......she is eating ok, but she alwas wags her tail albeit slowly , seems odd to have it just hung there, she doesnt seem to feel any pain etc in the area, has anyone come across this in their dog or has any ideas what it could be?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Could it be LImber tail...anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 12:06:23 PM »
Has she been in the water a lot by any chance?

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 01:47:08 PM »
she has been in and out streams to cool off but most are shallow paddles, no swimming

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
A friend‘s dog (not a very young dog) had similar symptoms after playing in cold water during hot weather and was diagnosed with, what is called  here Wasser Rute - I‘ve just googled the translation and its come up with Limber Tail, so it is possible. Have to say I‘dnever heard if it before but she said it was painful and the dog was very distressed. The vet said it was caused by the cold water.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:50:39 PM »
A friends dog had it, which doesn't really help you.  It did rectify itself, but there was no tail action for a good few days.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:42:39 AM »
Yes I read that it can be caused by cold water but she has only paddles in relatively shallow water, and certainly has no pain whatever, very occasionally she has moved the tip into a gentle wag, then it just hangs, makes her look so miserable, just want my merry cocker back.