Author Topic: Paw clippers  (Read 2815 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Paw clippers
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
Has anyone tried these successfully and what brand is worth it?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Re: Paw clippers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 02:41:32 PM »
Hi Phoenix,

Did you try any please? I’ve no experience with them but am needing to get some. There are so many to choose from and so many instructional vids on YouTube that I’m totally confused about which to buy and which blade size is needed!

Hope you’ve had more luck!

John.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »
Never used them, I just use some round ended scissors for paws, face and ears  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline russ-g

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
Definitely don't trim the paws, only the nails  :lol2:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »

Your boy is still young  ;)
Give it a few  more months and he will have gruffalo paws  :005: hair sprouting from between the toes  :005:
It helps in winter to keep them trimmed as it stops them bringing so much dirt into the house.
I was told by a groomer to use clippers as my hands are not too steady and she said there is thus a chance of cutting the skin.  At least with clippers they do have a guard on to prevent nicking the skin.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline russ-g

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »

Give it a few  more months and he will have gruffalo paws  :005: hair sprouting from between the toes  :005:
It helps in winter to keep them trimmed as it stops them bringing so much dirt into the house.
I was told by a groomer to use clippers as my hands are not too steady and she said there is thus a chance of cutting the skin.  At least with clippers they do have a guard on to prevent nicking the skin.

I have been told  :lol2:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 06:42:31 PM »

I wasn’t having a go at you Russ.  I have a little boy who looks very much like your boy.  He is now 6 months old and he used to have a lovely smooth coat and short hair on his legs and paws. Now he looks like a little yeti  :005: or a stuffed toy that is losing its filling  :005:  Hair sprouting upwards from in between his toes.  The lovely smooth chocolate coat is now tufted with puppy fluff that has an ginger tint to it.  He is my fourth cocker so I know this is just a phase but he does look a bit of a mess   :005: 
We all learn from experience.  When I got my first two girls spayed I was so pleased that they had somehow escaped the dreaded woolly bear coat that most neutered solid cockers get.  Roll on 18 months and I realised they hadn’t escaped the curse after all  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline russ-g

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 09:37:03 AM »

I wasn’t having a go at you Russ.  I have a little boy who looks very much like your boy.  He is now 6 months old and he used to have a lovely smooth coat and short hair on his legs and paws. Now he looks like a little yeti  :005: or a stuffed toy that is losing its filling  :005:  Hair sprouting upwards from in between his toes.  The lovely smooth chocolate coat is now tufted with puppy fluff that has an ginger tint to it.  He is my fourth cocker so I know this is just a phase but he does look a bit of a mess   :005: 
We all learn from experience.  When I got my first two girls spayed I was so pleased that they had somehow escaped the dreaded woolly bear coat that most neutered solid cockers get.  Roll on 18 months and I realised they hadn’t escaped the curse after all  :005:

Haha, oh dear, something else for me to to look forward to I suppose! Right now the last thing I need is more to think about. At 4 months Stanley has me at my wits end! :)