Author Topic: Show grooming  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Show grooming
« on: April 18, 2003, 10:35:18 PM »
Can I have some advice on grooming for a show.
I'm not sure whether I can use thinning scissors on the front of the legs or do they have to be hand plucked? And do you hand pluck the back legs? Also can you use thining scissors on the ears at the top? I'ts difficult to see from a lot of the pictures in the books as they are all taken from the side view. ???
Sorry to appear stupid but I've never done this before so it's all new  :-[                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 10:54:33 PM »
Hi Lou

In the old days, you handstripped everything including legs, tops of ears etc but that was when coats were finer & not as heavy as they are today. Nowadays, there are some coats you can totally handstrip & some you can't - it all depends on the coat eg I can handstrip the tops of the ears on Ruby but wouldn't attempt it on some of our heavier coated dark blues. So basically, you handstrip as much as you can but where you can't, you carefully use your thinning scissors :) When you say about the back legs, do you mean the stifles or the rear pasterns? Stifles you would try to handstrip but pasterns would be neatly trimmed with scissors.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 11:10:53 PM »
Hi Jane,

Thanks very much. I will try to trim him up a bit now, as I have not wanted to use the scissors in case I was wrong. He has quite hairy legs so I think the thinning scissors will help.

Lou.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 11:21:21 PM »
Good idea - just use the scissors lightly to begin with & brush out frequently with your slicker brush so you can see the effect you're having & not take too much off by mistake. You don't have to take all the hair off on a puppy's legs - it's normal to see puppies at shows with "puppy trousers" which have just been tidied up a little to make them look neater :)                    
Jane

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 06:23:32 PM »
Thanks again Jane  ;D Will keep trying.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Show grooming
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 10:38:24 AM »
Any Advice Please :D

Buttons has what I would call a very light coat and not heavy at all...I seem to be getting on quite well handstripping her back and head....do you think that I might not need to use thinning scissors at all on her  ??? she really doesn't seem to mind the handstripping at all, so would I just need to use scissors to tidy up her feet and handstrip the rest????

Thanks

Gilly                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Show grooming
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 11:55:17 AM »
Hi Gilly

I would say that you are ok to keep going with your handstripping on Buttons :D :D

I made the mistake and got caught out by Douglas' Breeders by using my thinning scissors on his front legs as he has so much hair there :D :D  The first thing they said to me was you've used thinning scissors on his legs haven't you  :-[  I know use my good old rubber gloves and take my time and handstrip all of him apart from the chest, throat, tail and underneath his tail where I use thinners.

If you just do a little at a time it will come out and not hurt Buttons.

HTH

Dessie :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 12:16:03 PM »
Any Advice Please :D

Buttons has what I would call a very light coat and not heavy at all...I seem to be getting on quite well handstripping her back and head....do you think that I might not need to use thinning scissors at all on her  ??? she really doesn't seem to mind the handstripping at all, so would I just need to use scissors to tidy up her feet and handstrip the rest????

Thanks

Gilly

You'll have to use your thinners a little to trim down the throat, inside the ears, around & underneath the tail etc - these are areas where it is too painful to pluck & everyone uses their scissors here :) You should be able to handstrip Buttons' legs as she has a lightish coat but on heavier coats, it is considered acceptable to use thinners lightly in this area :)                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Show grooming
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 01:39:37 PM »
Thanks for that Dessie & Jane :)

Now I'm about to become even more of a pain (is that possible ;D) anyway...I have 2 slicker brushes which I use at the moment and have now aquired ;)some thin rubber gloves which I think might be easier than the marigolds...my next question is: where do I get the right thining scissors? and do I need anything else....do I use the thining scissors for the feet too?? or will normal hairdressing scissors do for that (I already have these)..

Thanks ever so much all your help is really appreciated and helpful to a complete novice like me ;D

Gilly Willy                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Show grooming
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 03:41:30 PM »
Hi Gilly

I bought my Thinning Scissors from a Champ Show - Diamond Edge, not sure if they are on the web or not.  I think JaneS knows of a company that is on the web.

Hair dressing/flat scissors are fine for trimming the feet.

I use the thin latex gloves and they work really well.

This is what I have in my grooming box 3 x wire toothed combs (1 with an elastic band wrapped through the teeth), 4 x slicker brushes (different sizes), 4 x scissors (2 x thinning, 1 x rounded, 1 x flat), 5 x show leads, ring clips, 1 x bristle brush, tick remover, tweezers, nappy sacks, wet wipes, antiseptic cream (for dogs), thornit ear powder, hound glove (I use the velvet side to give the boys a final gleam before going in the ring) and pens.

Dessie :D :D                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Louise

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 04:19:35 PM »
I ordered the coat king, spratts and thinning scissors off the diamond edge web site only last week and they were really good and came within a couple of days.

www.diamondedgeltd.com

- Spratts 76
- Mars Coat King Super Fine 26 Blade (I remember seeing somethere that it might not be a good idea to use this if you're planning on showing but I'm not and I was most impressed with how it worked on Jazz)
- Gotta 65 Thinning Scissors

I picked these up from this thread which Mike started on 'what is handstripping' and I found very useful!:-

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=71

Hope this helps.

Louise and Jazz.

PS - Can anyone advise me on which 'normal' scissors are best to use from the Diamond Edge site?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 04:22:20 PM »
Gilly, Diamond Edge do have a website & their mail order service is v good. Have a look here for their range of thinners. You need a pair with 1 side serrated (46 teeth). Their own brand is fine, though I like the Roseline make myself :) Gottas are also popular with many people.

Louise, re normal hairdressing scissors, that all depends on your price range & your own preference. I like to use a smaller scissors but other people I know like quite big shears - whatever suits you best. For normal trimming purposes, a pair of hairdressing scissors from Boots would be just as good as a more expensive pair from Diamond Edge ;)                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
Show grooming
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 09:32:20 PM »
Thanks for that folks...I will order the ones you've recommended Jane...they don't do "smartprice" ones do they ;) ;D

Here are the contents of my grooming cupboard (not got a box yet) but next on my list  ;)
2 slicker brushes...1 small, 1 medium
1 Comb....(minus elastic band....on my to-do list)
1 Soft Brush
Thornit Powder
Cotton Wool
Baby Wipes (for Private Benjamins ;) ;D)
Cotton Buds
An Aquired Box of Thin rubber gloves ;)

once again thanks to you all for keeping me right :D

Gilly                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Show grooming
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2003, 10:13:22 PM »
Gilly you are more than welcome - that's what CockersOnline is all about isn't it ....... helping each other out !!!

So pleased to hear that Diamond Edge are on the web !!!                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Show grooming
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2003, 12:58:14 PM »
I have just bought a mars coat king 26S for my cocker - it is absolutly fabulous - it basicly does what hand stripping does but in seconds! Mine was £25 and worth every penny!

If you need to know haw to use it email me and i will tell you.                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!