Author Topic: Show grooming  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 03:32:13 PM »
Yes Coat Kings are great for pet Cocker trims but it's not a good idea use one on a Cocker intended for show as the Coat King contains blades which cut the coat & can result in a thick, dull coat once regrowth starts. A lot of show people rushed out & bought Coat Kings when they came out last year but many don't like what they do to show coats so are v careful how they use them (if at all) on show dogs.                    
Jane

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Show grooming
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2003, 04:06:11 PM »
I spoke to a number of exhibiters who use them to good effect. I was instructed, in detail, how to use it and sparcely - so not to chop at the coat.

You cant replace hand stripping but the coat king helps out.                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show grooming
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2003, 04:11:23 PM »
Yes you're right - there are no short cuts to a correctly hand-stripped coat ;) I have judged quite a few Cockers who have been stripped other than by hand & you can always tell - the coats just don't have the bloom of a properly handstripped coat. If you're happy using a Coat King, then that's great but I couldn't not point out the downside of using them ;)                    
Jane

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2003, 04:40:31 PM »
Appreciated. I am being very carefull!

My cocker has 'wiggy' patches at the top of her ears. How would you get rid of these, Jane, Thin or strip? and how far down the ear do you think i should go?

Clare                    
Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2003, 04:51:04 PM »
Hello, as Jane is offline right now I thought I would answer your questions.
I (and I believe Jane does too) prefer to use thinning scissors on the ears as it is a sensitive area. It may be ok to pluck the hair on dogs that don't have a heavy coat, but generally scissors work best.
If you feel on the outer edge of the ear, you will feel a little knobbly bit. I use this as a guide when tidying the ears as it is about 1/3 of the way down and that is roughly how far you should go.
hth :D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show grooming
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2003, 04:57:19 PM »
I do the same Michele, plucking just as far as don't hurt :)

I use the thinners under the top coat to remove bulk and then on the top of the ears as necessary to tidy up and give  smooth look.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2003, 05:10:06 PM »
Great ;D i will have a go - watch out Holly Bot - Here i Come!!!!

Thanks both!

Anotherone for you - she has got hairy heel on her back legs - do i thin these out or leave them long - as you can guess i am attacking her in sections. At this rate it is going to be like painting the Severn bridge! I'll finish and have to start again at the beginning!!! :-                    
Clare

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2003, 02:58:03 PM »
Well here goes - the painfull evidence. This is holly after her grooming session last night

Please excuse the quality of the picture and stance i was taking it on a camera timer and only had 10 seconds to get her ready

Please nb she is not brushed in this pic and had just been running around outside.

Honest opinions please - and where am i going wrong?                    
Clare

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show grooming
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2003, 03:04:49 PM »
to be honest Clare - it's very difficult to tell from the picture :( Can you take one zoomed in on her head a bit more so we can see her head. You also need to try and stack her properly by making sure her rear is in the proper stance so we can see how she looks overall.

Can you get someone else to take the piccy while you hold her - I've tried doing the timing thing and it's a nightmare - so I sympathise :D ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2003, 03:09:54 PM »
I was on my own :'(!

I can get pete to help me later! So be prepared tomorrow. ;)                    
Clare

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Show grooming
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2003, 10:38:33 PM »
Well, after yet another unsuccessful grooming attempt this afternoon, I dug out my cocker grooming video and I now know what I'm doing wrong.....I'm plucking hair like a girl ;D That woman was getting it out in clumps :o I need to be more ruthless ::) Will get some chalk and try again. Really should have watched that to start with ::)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2003, 09:47:58 AM »
We have found a Ring craft club and it is just in the next town!

We are going to our first session tomorrow night  :-- wish us luck! :D                    
Clare

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 07:29:27 PM »
Yes Clare, good luck & let us know how you get on :)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2003, 01:44:28 PM »
So Clare... how did you get on at your first ring craft session?  :D                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Show grooming
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2003, 02:09:28 PM »
We are due to go tonight - but guess what holly has gone and done - you've guessed it! She has come in to season! Bummer >:(

But her mum - fern - has come to the rescue and has volunteered to go in Hollys place! Ok - so i had to bribe her with some chewies and promise to take her to the pub (where she has her own bar stool) for some porkscratchings after!

We are going at 8pm tonight - i will write tomorrow to give you the news. Bear in mind that fern is 8 and stubborn with it!

Hey ho! :D                    
Clare