Author Topic: COAT KING  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
COAT KING
« on: May 06, 2003, 09:54:16 AM »
Well I've got it and my spratts comb ;D - I've had a go at using them too and was like :o at how much hair came out.....then I was like  :o  because  he still looks exactly the same ???
Michele kindly gave me a demo of how to used the CK - so I am sure I'm doing it right, but perhaps you could tell me how long will it take before the fluff goes? How long should sessions last (Monty seems to quite like the CK and behaves himself when I am doing it, providing he gets the odd boney biscuit ;))  and Can you Coat king Too much???and finally, is it Ok to use the CK on his head?

PS - this post sound like I'm expecting a miracle - a smooth cocker after a quick flick with the CK - I'm not - but really am just wondering how long before I see results?

I know these may have all been answered before - so sorry if you are having to repeat yourselves ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 02:02:03 PM »
;D  ;D  ;D LOL

I've been working on Morgan for about 3 months now and he's starting to look less 'furrball' like.  He hates the coatking on his head so I've been using thinning scissors - I think I'm too soft for hand stripping (I think it was Gill who said she was plucking like agirl - well that's me, too  :-[)

Last night I decided to tackle his paws and don't think I made too much of a mess of them - he no longer has big fluffy boots - I marched him into the livingroom so he could show Eric his 'big boy's paws'   ;D

It does seem as if you're spending an hour grooming, end up with a bin bag full of hair and the darn thing still looks the same - but it does work  ;)

Morgan's not going to any shows so I just want to keep him tidy and still looking like a cocker - are you planning on showing Monty?

Good luck and let us see some pics of Monty soon.  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Jen

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 02:11:11 PM »
OMG Shirely - THREE MONTHS :o :o :o - I wonder if they go to the groomers to be handstripped then it takes a few visits to get them right?

I don't intend to show Monty - though I really enjoyed my first visit to a cocker show the other week - but really, like you, I just want him to look like a cocker rather than a furry big fluff ball ;D ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
COAT KING
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 02:23:55 PM »
Jen

I've been thinking about getting a coat king but haven't as Phoebe hasn't got much coat yet. She's been for a tidy up a couple of times.

I keep thinking about a CK as I definitely don't want her clipped - just for her to look like a cocker. At the moment she seems a bit 'scruffy' (don't tell her I told you). Her coat is quite fluffy on the tops (especially her bum) but her feathers are fine. Am I right in thinking it will settle down as she gets older - she's only 8 months - is there time for her to turn more cocker like????

I would definitely carry on with the CK if you're not showing Monty as from what I've seen on here its a good way to go. :)                    
Anita

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 02:35:56 PM »
;D Don't panic Jen, I don't do the trimming thing every day, just once a week and only get a good run at it if he falls asleep  ;D  ;D  ;D.  The rest of the time it's a quick sweep with the slicker and spratts comb.  Have you got thinning scissors too?  They make a huge difference, although I'm in the early stages off learning too, so I'm v. cautious with them.

I don't know how  many visits to the groomer it would be for handstripping.  I don't have that option though - there are a couple of dog groomers here who will come to your home but I've seen the handy-work of one who managed to turn a friends field spaniel into a lab :o   :(  :o                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 07:28:05 PM »
Jen, it could be that not all of Monty's puppy coat is ready to 'give' yet, so be patient and keep brushing, combing & CK'ing.................well done by the way ;D

Here is a link to an old post of Otis 8) before his coat was stripped out. You've seen him since, so have faith and Monty will be smooth & sleek one day. ;)
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=96                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 08:19:31 PM »
what inspiration Michele - is that really smooth cool Otis 8) - wow! :o
I will keep at it....gonna have a session tonight when I get the babies to bed........ ;) :D

can you coat king too much Michele?                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 09:57:27 PM »

can you coat king too much Michele?

I would be tempted to say no Jen, but with all things I think there has to be some moderation. As far as I am aware (maybe Jane can agree/disagree with this) the CK will only take out what dead coat is ready to come out. Remember to use it lightly and don't force it through the coat, let it take what will come. On my pet trims I stop when it doesn't seem to be getting any more out. This obviously varies from dog to dog.
hth :D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
COAT KING
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 09:27:27 AM »
Michele

Have looked at the piccy of Otis (He looked lovely by the way) and Phoebe has that wobbly coat on the top of her bum like Otis did - will this definitely be her puppy coat? I think it is and am hoping it will smooth out a bit over the coming months. As she's only 8 months I presume there's plenty of time?

Thanks

Anita & Phoebe (oh great wooly Dog :D)                    
Anita

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
COAT KING
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 01:18:07 PM »
Have been using the coat king on Sonny and hand stripping him. I can do so much, but them he went to a wonderful grooms nearby who will hand strip from a pup. He came back 6 hours later and looking like a big boy, gone was blonde punk look and back came a grown up golden boy( less still a bit blonde not ready to come out yet.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
COAT KING
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 02:14:52 PM »
I started with the coat king on a 'mature' coat and you can tell when to stop on them becuse if you need to do more there is resistance. The resistance stops when the coat is clear.

I have not used in on a puppy coat so cant comment on that.

It is not that good on heads - but try it for thinning out knotty feathers -  interesting!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 04:20:34 PM »

It is not that good on heads - but try it for thinning out knotty feathers -  interesting!

Personally, I think I would rather stick to using the thinning scissors & a slicker brush for knotty feathers. Surely the CK is going to pull :(                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
COAT KING
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 05:58:07 PM »
Have been using the coat king on Sonny and hand stripping him. I can do so much, but them he went to a wonderful grooms nearby who will hand strip from a pup. He came back 6 hours later and looking like a big boy, gone was blonde punk look and back came a grown up golden boy( less still a bit blonde not ready to come out yet.

Heee, Heee!  Sonny must be a very patient boy.  Morgan would need to be knocked out before he'd let anyone work on him for 6 hours.  Sonny is a gorgeous boy from what I've seen in the photos section - any more pics to add?   ;D