Author Topic: I GIVE IN  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
I GIVE IN
« on: July 18, 2003, 01:28:17 PM »
Ok - I admit defeat.  Yes the coat-king has pulled out untold fluff and yes I have popped on my finger cots and plucked for hours.....but still Monts is looking uneven and really a bit scuffy - I need professional help - no not a shrink (this time ;)) - We need a groomer.  Jane kindly gave me a list of numbers for some handstrippers in this area (the midlands) - but I'm not sure if they do it anymore as none have  returned my (many) calls :'( - I am not sending him off to any old dog shearers (after the last experience) - I just want to pay the money and get him stripped down so that I can keep on top of it after that.  I know there is a beautiful cocker boy underneath all that scruffy fluff - can anyone suggest how I might find a suitable groomer who can sort him out. ???

Michele....ever fancied moving up here and starting the midlands arm of your business? ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
I GIVE IN
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 01:48:47 PM »
Hi Jen, I can`t help with a groomer in your neck of the woods. Are you using the 26 blade coat king? If you wanted to invest in another coat king I have found the 20 blade removes a lot more coat than the 26 ;) It was recommended to me to remove fluffy puppy coat ( not to be used if you intend to show! ) My 26 blade is redundant! Remember not to " dig " the C.K in to the coat, and you should get a good finish.
Good Luck whatever you decide to do.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
I GIVE IN
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 02:02:47 PM »
I'm in the midlands - Stourport on Severn. I am only a beginner but i'm getting the hang of the stripping thing! Do you fancy getting together and swapping notes??

I have been working on a friends cocker who has a really heavy coat and i have won with that one. My three are all on their way (Holly looks good - she has got a show on sat)

I do groom a few friends dogs as a hobby for pocket money- i have got a newfoundland to do this week - wish me LUCK! :-

If your dogs coat is tricky you can have a go on one of mine. Willow wont mind volunteering! ;D                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
I GIVE IN
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 02:57:41 PM »
Jen, I've sent you an email address by IM - hopefully you will get a reply ;D

I second Tracey about the Coat Kings - I find the 20 blade one to be much more effective at removing puppy fluff than the 26 blade one (pet Cockers only of course ;))                    
Jane

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
I GIVE IN
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 03:17:01 PM »
Would the 20 blade be better than the 26 for Poppy who has a heavy black coat, is spayed, has been clipped and is begining to get a bit woolly?

I never seem to get much out with my 26 blade and keep giving up and clipping her again, but I'd rather use the coat king than keep using clippers all the time  :-                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
I GIVE IN
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 03:37:51 PM »
It might be worth a try, I think from memory which is not brilliant ;D the 20 blade was quite a bit cheaper than the 26.
If you are prepared to lay out the money and give it a try it will save you money in the long run.
I`m sure you're aware that some coats once clipped especially the  blacks and the fact you're girl has been spayed may mean you will never get a really  flat finish.
If you decide to try the 20 blade, let us know how you get on :)
Tracey                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Anonymous

I GIVE IN
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 03:57:33 PM »
am thinking I might invest in one then...cos jessie being spayed next week, shes sure to go wooly, she's wooly between the ears already whats to stop her coat going the same  ;D                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
I GIVE IN
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 06:34:35 PM »
Thanks Jane! I have spoken to your contact in Leicestershire.  Monty is booked in for a trim on 29th July.  
WATCH OUT FOR THE PICS ;D

Thanks for your help & advice everyone xx                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
I GIVE IN
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 07:32:56 PM »
Cant wait Jen ;D Vegas had his first trim the other day and looks like a different dog(and he wasnt a big hairy mammoth ;) ;D)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)