Author Topic: Advice from experiance  (Read 1560 times)

Offline yeswotever

• Site Member
Advice from experiance
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:57:06 PM »
Hi this is my first post on this excellent website but to no avail can i find any answers to my problems,
I have a 14 month old golden working cocker called Tuggy, I'll get straight to the chase, I am fed up of her running off when ever she hears interseting sounds when out on walks off the lead she hardly even gives me a second thought, yet when in the house she'll follow me round like a little lost sheep, if she's not on the scent of something she will do a recall but otherwise I cant break the concentration when she cathes wind of something

Please Help

Chris

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Advice from experiance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
You'll find lots of threads on recall problems if you do a search ;) HERE is the most recent one to get you started :blink:
Jane

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
Do you do Whistle training with her?

Do a search on whistle and there's loads of info to help with the recall  ;)

Make sure you have a tasty treat that she only gets for recall, one that's very high value. (some use cheese, sausage or chicken)

By the way welcome to COL Chris  ;)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »
Hi Chris, I have a 20 month old golden worker - and he can also be a nightmare  ;)  He is getting better but only because I'm getting better!

He is ruled by his stomach and squeaky balls (I carry two so that he has one to come back to).  I've just started agility and control off the lead is a challenge - so many dogs, treats and toys all around  ::)  I've learned not to be embarrassed about getting his attention, I have to make myself far more interesting than all the dropped treats and other dogs  :005:

Having said all this - a pigeon or squirrel can't be ignored ................... nor can a fishermans bait box as I found out the other day  >:(

Good luck with Tuggy  ;)

Offline yeswotever

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:07:44 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, i called at pets at home last night & got a big bag of chocolate drops & I'm after a 2-10 whistle so this weekend I'll take her out (not with a rifle) & start with some serious recall training wish me luck
i'll let you know how it goes

Chris

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »
big bag of chocolate drops & I'm after a 2-10 whistle

Sorry but thi is my opinion - I am not in favour at all of chocolate drops of any sort for dogs. Couldn't you make some healthy tuna bread or liver cake instead?  :huh:

I'm just off to make liver cake now (stink the house out time  :005: )

Offline yeswotever

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:36:10 PM »
They are dog chocolate drops from pets at home, arent they a tasty treat?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »

Jasper does not value food treats highly but I found liver bread to be great if you don't mind handling meat, probably better than the choccy treats even from PAH. heres a recipe
http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm

Good luck with the training, I find Louie loves to run and is often some distance from me but I've changed direction and frightened him a couple of times when he realised I wasn't where he expected me to be, he is stopping to check more and I always use a whistle so if he he does take off he can listen for the whistle and will return - eventually.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
I haven't started training Kali properly yet but I do know that she will react better to cheese than chocolate!  She loves her drops but she would build you a house for a bit of cheese :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

In my personal opinion, no.

Even the dog choc drops I avoid. I would rather use small bits of cheese, chicken, sausage, liver cake, tuna bread etc much healthier for them  ;)  My two even get an odd carrot to chew on as a treat