Author Topic: My Baby Girl  (Read 6312 times)

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:28:14 AM »
Hi all :D,

I'm a proud father, ;D meet my baby girl. She is named Rainbow after her  grandfather and also her great grandfather "Raincloud", which appear both sides of her pedigree. She has a bubbly personality or may I say wriggly!!! She think I'm her "mommy" follows me around. At the moment she is quietly asleep in her crate. She is such an angel.

I got her on Saturday and have been following all the tips and advice from all of you and it works!!! Thank you all I'm very grateful. Been using the crate method and also dog appeasing pheromone when she arrived. There was no vocalization at all on the first night except till 6am in the morning when she made a mess in her crate and the second night she was calm and quiet till I took her out at 5am this morning, she did mess her crate though!!

I have a question, hope someone can help. She doesn't want to do her business outside and wait till see get in her crate and do it on the paper :'(, Can anyone please advice me so I can make her do it outside? When she's outside she lingers and darts around like a runaway train, biting plants!!! Please advice I do not know what to do

Alexander ;)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
My Baby Girl
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 11:43:30 AM »
Hiya Alexander,

and congratulations on the arrival of Rainbow  8) she is a babe  ;) ;D
Re the toilet training. Personally i didn't use any newspaper during the day at all if i was there. Maybe Rainbow has been paper trained by the breeder which now means you have to train her from the paper to outside. With Butty i took her outside about every 30 minutes (if she was awake  ;)) and after every meal or play session. I didn't leave any paper down as i knew teaching her to do it on the paper would then result in me then having to teach her to go outside  ::) It really only took about a week or so and before long she was going outside during the day. Obviously there were accidents which i never commented on, and i blamed myself for not being vigilant enough  ;)  Plenty of praise when she does go outside and soon she will get the message that she's doing the right thing. Be prepared for the standing around tho, while they have a ball running riot while your standing in the rain  ;) i used to keep my umbrella and a towel at the back door and prepare myself for a long wait  ;)
At night i still used to keep paper down...not to train her to go on it..more as it was easier to clean any mess up..especially those number 2's that they always seem to stand in  ;) ;D

Good Luck

Gilly                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
My Baby Girl
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 12:52:51 PM »
Congratulations on Rainbow, she is lovely :-*
All of Gilly`s advice is great.
One thing You could try is putting a couple of sheets of paper outside where You want her to go. Some puppies are so used to going on paper it takes a while to realise :) When she realises where she has to go take one sheet of paper away then after another day or two completely remove the paper.
Don`t use paper in the house or the crate when You are there as she will use it! Should only take a day or two of using the paper outside for her to realise that is where You want her to go.
As Gilly said stay with Rainbow till she is done, then give her lot`s of praise.
I`m lucky to have my patio and garden divided by a fence so when puppies go outside theres not a lot to interest them so they usually get on with the task in hand instead of running round the garden :o
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 12:55:04 PM »
oooohhh!!!!!  Alexander,   wot  a  little  beauty

Rainbow is,  and what a lovely Name.  ;D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
My Baby Girl
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 01:00:20 PM »
I`m lucky to have my patio and garden divided by a fence so when puppies go outside theres not a lot to interest them so they usually get on with the task in hand instead of running round the garden

I did that to Tracey, I have a patio area, and I blocked off the grass for the 1st few weeks so that she would only go on the patio area,my theory was that eventually it would pay and she would only ever want to go on the patio area, and save me having to pick poo up off wet grass  :-X also it stopped her from running around the grass picking up leaves and the like  ;)....didn't last long tho, before long she managed to climb over the barrier i'd made  ::) ;D                    

Offline Karen

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 01:43:50 PM »
She is adorable and I'm sure she'll soon get the hang of things! Congratulations! :-*                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
My Baby Girl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 04:05:04 PM »
Hi Alexander,
She is well worth the wait by the look of it  :D Looks a little stunner - wish you all the best with her. ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Anonymous

My Baby Girl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 04:54:54 PM »
Gosh she is gorgeous !!!! And love the name !!!!!

Stick with the training and she will soon pick it up !!!!!                    

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 05:59:07 AM »
Thank you all for your replies especially Tracey and Gilly for your advice :D. Rainbow has been a good little girl today no noise and was clean this morning about 3am. She still linger and insisted on doing on the paper. I like both your ideas but I think she might be paper trained so have to modify your methods. I have kept the paper with the traces of her urine and will use to encourage her to do her business outside on a same spot. Just keep the fingers crossed and hope it works. I will be patient and persist with the training. It this fails, I'll erect a play pen on the patio then she has no choice but to do it there ;D!!

She definately thinks I'm her "mommy", when she hungry, she will want to lick my face so I can regurgitate food for her like in the wild. She is so sweet  :-*. I have written a timetable for her, so she eats, sleep, play only at a certain period giving me time to do my work!! If anyone has anymore advice please feel free to comment, I'm quite tired due to lack of sleep, I didn't know fatherhood can be so tiring!!

Alexander  ;)                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
My Baby Girl
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 08:13:45 AM »
Hi Alexander,

I think Rainbow is an absolutely gorgeous little bundle...lucky you :D

Mary and Lottie                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline roy

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 08:17:12 AM »
Hullo Alexander, Congrats on a lovely little bundle, may she continue to be so. If you value your pot plants raise them up out  of Rainbow's way - I learnt too late!!!!!   Roy                    

Offline Tricialane

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 08:51:06 AM »
Hello Alexander, Rainbow looks lovely.

I think you will spend a lot of time moving things out of her way, if Max is any guide.  Every day he seems to be able to reach more things that i thought were safe.  What fun!!

Tricia                    
Tricia

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
My Baby Girl
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2003, 09:16:59 AM »
Love the name Rainbow :)

Sounds like the toilet training is coming along!

Like Gilly says - stick at it. I was thinking this morning (as I was stood in the rain) that I remember doing this when we first got Phoebe - wait til its icy cold though!                    
Anita

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
My Baby Girl
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 06:26:15 AM »
Thank you Tracey and Gilly your methods really works ;D!! and it has only been a week (there are numerous accidents though :-[). Rainbow will whines and move in circles in her crate indicates to me she needs to go out to do a number 2(she does her number 2 outside) but she still insist on doing her number 1 on paper particularly at night till morning period :-. I have a question. I know I'm not supposed to put paper in crate because she will use it but she's so young and been told puppies do not have full bladder control to last  the whole night until about at least 16 weeks old!!. I have a dilemma, have any of you or members of forum got any more advice to solve this problem. I want her to full housetrained outside and not on paper inside the crate. Any tips will be appreciated!! ;D

Alexander :)                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
My Baby Girl
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 07:52:25 AM »
Hi Alexander, Glad Rainbow is settling in well.
Sorry I should have made myself clearer........ It is o.k to use paper at night, and the day if You have to leave Rainbow for any length of time. You are rite, puppies shouldn`t be expected to go all night without emptying their bladder.
What I tried to say was that if there is paper down or in her crate when You are home she will be more inclined to use that than go outside. :)
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare