Author Topic: insurance help  (Read 11387 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: insurance help
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 11:03:52 PM »
I'm interested to know why anybody wouldn't claim back say £20 or £30 - it doesn't cost anything and takes 5 minutes to fill in a claim form so why don't you want your money back  :huh:  Ok it's not a huge amount but I can always think of something to do with it... maybe you have more spare cash than I do  :005:

It's filling the form in, taking it to the vet & handing it in, getting the cheque, going to the bank to pay the cheque in etc etc . Just plain laziness  :005:

I insured Billy incase anything major happened really rather than day to day things.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »
It's filling the form in, taking it to the vet & handing it in, getting the cheque, going to the bank to pay the cheque in etc etc . Just plain laziness  :005:

I'm pretty lazy too but the promise of cash usually shakes me out of it  :005:  I keep the forms in the car so I always have one with me when I go to the vet and I fill it in then and there as I'm paying and they do the rest.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2007, 11:07:35 PM »

I'm pretty lazy too but the promise of cash usually shakes me out of it  :005:  I keep the forms in the car so I always have one with me when I go to the vet and I fill it in then and there as I'm paying and they do the rest.

You're much more organised than me then  :lol:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 11:17:26 PM »
I'm interested to know why anybody wouldn't claim back say £20 or £30 - it doesn't cost anything and takes 5 minutes to fill in a claim form so why don't you want your money back  :huh:  Ok it's not a huge amount but I can always think of something to do with it... maybe you have more spare cash than I do  :005:

I insured Billy incase anything major happened really rather than day to day things.

All I do is get the claim form and give it to the vet,I don't pay anything, my vet deals with M&S and they send me a letter to say it's been paid!

You must all be very well off ladies,  :shades:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2007, 11:22:12 PM »
All I do is get the claim form and give it to the vet,I don't pay anything, my vet deals with M&S and they send me a letter to say it's been paid!

Nope I'm not well off at all  :005:

Do they pay you by bacs or cheque?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:19 PM »
But you're paying extra to have no excess then losing out by not claiming for anything under £50

I think it was only something like a tenner a year extra so I still think I'm better off with the no excess policy even though I don't claim for the smaller bills. I've got a B in Higher Maths so will be very embarrassed if I've worked it out wrong  :lol: :lol:

With my vets you have to pay them direct and then claim back the money. I then have to cut short the dogs walk at lunchtime so I can pay the cheque into my account. I personally don't think its worth the hassle for smaller bills. In the year that I have been paying vet bills, I have only had 2 bills come in at less than £50 so I've certainly made good use of my insurance and I would say about 90% of claims that I have made, I wouldn't have been able to had I had an excesss so I'm still quids in. Well off?? Whats that then ??  :lol: :lol:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:53 PM »

Nope I'm not well off at all  :005:

Do they pay you by bacs or cheque?

They don't pay me, they pay the vet !   ::) :D  (Not well off in your profession ?  :o :huh:, who are you trying to kid) :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »
They don't pay me, they pay the vet !   ::) :D 

oh bloomin heck that's fantastic! Don't suppose many vets do that  :D

wonder if they see it as an opportunity to add a bit on ?

(Not well off in your profession ?  :o :huh:, who are you trying to kid) :005:

I am paid well but I have lots of bills  :lol:

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:39 PM »
I confess that I read the first page and the last so anything in between isn't counted!

I'm with Healthy Pets - yes I have to pay the vet bill at the time (the vets rules) but I've claimed twice and the cheque came through without question within 2 weeks.  There is a £50 excess but I think that's fairly standard if you pay £5.65 per month for gold cover!  That means covering an ongoing illness for the life of your dog or £6,000 per treatment whichever is lower - OK it's limited but still a good deal?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 06:26:35 AM »
It's filling the form in, taking it to the vet & handing it in, getting the cheque, going to the bank to pay the cheque in etc etc . Just plain laziness  :005:

Like Jan, the hassle of taking the form back to the vet, collecting it again and then sending it off it too much hassle for us for small amounts - we have a £35 excess, but now that the standard consultation fee is £25+VAT, I rarely get charged under the excess, but don't bother to claim unless its over £50 or so  ::)

Our vet won't fill in the form there and then - it is done by the administrators, so I have to go back and pick it up a few days later......... :-\ We got a letter from the Practice not long after we got Molo saying that the FSA guidelines meant that vets should no longer send the forms to the Insurance Company direct, or accept payment direct  ::)

Once the cost of petrol, and my or OH hourly rate is taken into account for all the to'ing and fro'ing it doesn't make it worth it for small amounts  :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 07:02:01 AM »
Why don't you send the form by post to your vets?  I live 6 miles from my vets and if I am not travelling in that direction, I have put my claim form in the post to the vets with a quick note.  The vets have then sent it direct to M&S to be paid.  I received the cheque and then put that in the post to my bank to be banked as again I don't often get to my bank and it is usually a special journey for me.  Luckily, my vets will claim the amount back direct from M&S :D
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 08:18:47 AM »
Why don't you send the form by post to your vets?  I live 6 miles from my vets and if I am not travelling in that direction, I have put my claim form in the post to the vets with a quick note.  The vets have then sent it direct to M&S to be paid.  I received the cheque and then put that in the post to my bank to be banked as again I don't often get to my bank and it is usually a special journey for me.  Luckily, my vets will claim the amount back direct from M&S :D

Our vets charge extra if they have to post the form back to you (citing administrative charges) and they won't send it direct to the Insurer, either ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »

Our vet won't fill in the form there and then - it is done by the administrators, so I have to go back and pick it up a few days later......... :-\ We got a letter from the Practice not long after we got Molo saying that the FSA guidelines meant that vets should no longer send the forms to the Insurance Company direct, or accept payment direct  ::)

Rachel you are quite right.  Vets are no longer, in theory, allowed to deal with Insurance Companies directly.  FSA guidelines and the dreaded Data Protection rulings should make this impossible. 

Offline Dannyt

• Site Member
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
We are insured with M&S and have obviously had a big claim go in because of Charlie's accident.  ph34r

The emergency vets and our standard vets dealt with all the paperwork and we haven't had to pay out a penny  :D  The most I have done is downloaded the claim form from their website and then taken it to the vets.  M&S just send me a letter to say they are dealing with it and the vets then tell me it has been paid.........couldn't be easier.

Our renewal came thro just before Charlie's accident so it had only gone up from £12 a month to £17 a month with no excess.  I can't say that I am looking forward to next years renewal tho cos I can see it increasing by quite a bit cos they are gonna have us over a barrel in that we can't change insurers now incase of any further problems due to his accident. Be interesting to see how much of a difference it will make to our premium.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »

Rachel you are quite right.  Vets are no longer, in theory, allowed to deal with Insurance Companies directly.  FSA guidelines and the dreaded Data Protection rulings should make this impossible. 

Really? Well I just hope that either mine never realise that or just don't care cos it works really well for me at the moment!  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/