Author Topic: He doesn't ask  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Ally

• Site Member
He doesn't ask
« on: October 01, 2003, 10:25:06 PM »
Throughout the Summer months I have my front door open during the day and well into the evening. It was during this time that I house trained Louis. It has been wonderful and he picked it up really quickly. Trouble is now that the Winter is here the door is shut and Louis doesn't know how to ask to go out (I did'nt teach him that bit). So now it feels like were back at square 2 (not quite as bad as square 1). I do let him out on a regular basis, but sometimes i'm in the middle of something and hes looking sheepish I know that its too late and I find the puddle :o. I feel that I have to watch him all day, although he is good during the night. How can I teach him to tell me? ??? Potty training is sooo much easier ;D

Ally                    

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
He doesn't ask
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 10:58:32 PM »
Hi

HAve you considered a dog flap, I have one and its fantastic, my dog just takes herself outside when she needs to go, you can get them at most pet shops.                    

Offline Ally

• Site Member
He doesn't ask
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 10:01:44 AM »
We have an Oak front door and no back door, my husband would rather walk over hot coals naked b4 he cut a hole in it. ;) What a site that would be tee hee :-

Ally                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
He doesn't ask
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 10:51:18 AM »
I think you have to go back to basics Ally :) Leaving the door open is easier for us humans but unfortunately as you've found out, it means a puppy never really learns to ask to go out & some pups actually find it difficult to tell the difference between "inside" & "outside" if they are used to always being able to run in & out at will. I would go back to training your pup as if he was a baby - take him outside yourself (every hour or so if need be), stay with him until he "performs" & keep repeating whatever phrase you used when you first had him (we say "Hurry Up"), then reward when you get a result. This will work eventually but you have to keep at it ;)                    
Jane

Offline gerry

• Site Member
He doesn't ask
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 01:21:06 PM »
I have a similar situation with Rigsby - we got him in March and since then the door seems to have been permanently open so he has been in and out all the time.

What we have started to do is when he is by the door wanting to go out, we ask him to "speak" first (by this I mean encourage him to bark), then we let him out.  Eventually the hope is he will bark to go outside and we will hear him even when we can't see him by the door  ;)  Rigsby has no problem being encouraged to bark as he is always answering back and barks at me if I ignore him when I come in with shopping etc. so I am sure Louis will soon pick it up - they are very quick to learn.

Good luck!                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
He doesn't ask
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 10:55:36 AM »
Phoebe never learnt to 'tell' us when she wanted to go out. I tried to get her to bark but she's not a great barker ::). She doesn't even join in with the neighbourhood dogs when they all start.

I have learnt the signs though - restlessness turning circles in the kitchen - looking at the door. Its better now she's grown up but it was difficult at times when she was small.

You'll get there in the end!                    
Anita

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
He doesn't ask
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 09:39:11 PM »
well my other dogs used to bark at the door and as soon as they barked and gone to the toilet they used to get a treat. thats how we taught it.
bella wont we had the same problem as you but shes realised that she needs to ask to go out or she wont get her treat so she jumps up and trys to hit the handle now. not as handy as a bark but it will do.
We did think about buying something she could press and it would ring but she started tapping the door fortunalty

Main training aid . dog chocolate:D armed with that and you should get the job done. bella now knows the names sweets and chocloate ::) easy to recall her with them too ;D
Shes funny like that she seems to know what chicken and ham means too and frolics . and if you even mention the word out in a convo shes at the door before you know it :o there not as stupid as they make out :P