Author Topic: Puppy Chewing  (Read 2498 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Puppy Chewing
« on: October 01, 2003, 11:02:13 PM »
Hi my friend has a blue roan who is adorable and she is 10 months old, however she has started to chew my friends kitchen and she has been going through the dog flap and chewing her shed etc.

She was considering getting her a muzzle for when she is at work which will be about three hours a day but she is terrified she is sick and then chokeson her vomit.

I don't know what to advise and I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Puppy Chewing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 10:38:40 AM »
I think using a muzzle is a very bad idea sorry - puppies often go through an "exploratory" chewing phase at 9-10 months (other members have had the same problem if you read some previous threads). Suggestions for getting over this phase include using a crate & leaving the dog plenty of things like stuffed kongs, activity cubes to keep them occupied while you're out. You can also use anti-chew sprays on items likely to be chewed (eg Bitter Apple) or try rubbing a chilli pepper along the surface of chewable items (or chest vapour rub)

I don't really agree with dog flaps for puppies for the reason that if you're not there to supervise, a puppy could get up to anything outside & there's nothing you can do about it. I know a lot of people are happy with dog flaps so I'll leave them to come up with some suggestions for the shed chewing ;D                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Puppy Chewing
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 11:36:55 AM »
Agree with Jane entirely.  Nylabone chews are very good too - they do puppy versions in all shapes and sizes.  I also don't think that puppies should have access to the garden unsupervised for various reasons. ;)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Puppy Chewing
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 10:42:43 AM »
Have to agree with whats already been said. Phoebe has chewed some things over the last couple of months and she's 1yr now. Even though when she's left she has toys, chews and other stuff.

Its just a case of giving her lots of other things to do ::)                    
Anita

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
Puppy Chewing
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 09:49:22 AM »
Hi
Have to agree with all other comments.  Un supervised access to the Garden via the cat flap is a big NO NO with me.  Too much danger in the average garden, Just an experimental chew of a plant could be fatal.  If all else fails the crate or puppy pen is the solution