Author Topic: House Training frustration !!!!!  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Jay.doyle

• Site Member
House Training frustration !!!!!
« on: October 02, 2003, 06:38:41 PM »
Please could someone give us some advice before we scream in frustration.!!!!

Our darling little puppy is only 10 weeks old, so we do not expect him to get the grasp of house training overnight. But we have followed all the advice in our book; take him out in the garden for 5-10 minutes and tell him its time for 'wee-wees' (I think our neighbour thinks I've lost the plot!!!!) and then if he does do something he gets lots of praise and a piece of cooked chicken as a treat. If he does nothing in the 5-10 minutes outside, fetch him in and watch him for sniffing. I have done all this, but for the last couple of days he has been doing nothing in the garden, but then immediately decides to wee on the kitchen/living room floor!!!!! We have laminate floors, and I always disinfect them after he has had an accident so he can't smell it.

What are we doing wrong???? Please someone help!!!!!! :'( :- ???

Jason, Alexis & Simba                    

Offline Tricialane

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 06:59:03 PM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that disinfectant, or the smell of it, acts as an invitation to the little treasures to use the same spot again.  I may just have dreamed this!  I'm sure someone will have some good advice.  You seem to be doing the right things - I expect it just takes time.

Tricia                    
Tricia

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 10:16:08 PM »
You're right Tricia. I use something called Simple solution (smells really nice too) which is a godsend. You can buy it online from Petplanet or locally from Pets at Home or some garden centres sell it.

Its a great stain remover as well and very safe to use with dogs, cats and kids around!

It does take time with puppies (my kittens were always easier), and sometimes it can get worse before it gets better. A friend of mine's cavvie pup is still doing what yours does at 18 weeks!

One thing I have noticed with my new pup is that a week seems a very long time.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!