Author Topic: Food  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Ben

• Site Member
Food
« on: October 08, 2003, 08:52:47 AM »
Hi All,
Our 6week old pup is now getting used to the house and she is fantastic - couple of questions about food if I may.

1. We feed her three times a day - breakfast, lunch and teatime. We give her the following :-

Breakfast :-a Weetabix with a little milk and warm water
Lunch :- handful of Puppy bakers choice
Tea :- as lunch or fish. ( my family have a fish and chip shop and we tried her with small bowl of fish that had the batter removed and bones removed.)

2. Does this above look ok? especially the fish - she scoffs it down in seconds and her coat looks great for it

3. What age should I start to reduce meals ?

Thanks                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Food
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 09:19:50 AM »
hi  Ben ,  i m  not  a  cocker  owner,  but  i  do  think  that  your  pup should  be  fed  at least  4  to  5  times  a  day,
at  this  age. I,m sure one of the more experienced  owners will come on to discuss diet  with you.   :)

edited  to  say.   she  is  a  little  cutie, and i,m  realy  jealous.  :-*

Barb.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline xander_ho

• Site Member
Food
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 09:37:35 AM »
Hi,

I do believe Barb is right very young puppy should be fed at least 4 times a day until about 5 to 6 months then reduced to 3 and so on. I was adviced to feed 2 milky food and 2 semi solid i.e. complete puppy food soaked in warm water. My pup is now 10 weeks old I just feed her Nutro dry complete puppy food. Its crunchy and also helps with her chewing. I'm quite new with puppy therefore not really experienced. I think some of other members will be able to give you more advice.

Alexander                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Food
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 09:43:17 AM »
She's lovely Ben but Barb is right, 3 meals a day is not enough for such a young puppy. She really should be on at least 4 meals a day - our pups would have breakfast, lunch, tea & supper at 6 weeks old. We feed a good quality complete puppy food (Nutro) 4 times a day but if you are going for a mixed diet, there is nothing wrong with fish but serve it with some rice or with the puppy mixer you can buy (Pedigree Small Bite Mixer) to make a more balanced meal. You could also feed scrambled egg sometimes as one of her meals as most pups love this & its excellent food for growing pups.                    
Jane

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Food
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »
Jane is right - 4 meals a day at least.  It is so important to get the feeding right at this stage - would have thought the breeder would have advised you better.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline PennyB

Food
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 09:52:34 AM »
I would say 4 times a day at least. I got Wilf in the summer at the age of 8 weeks and the breeder gave me a sheet with feeding guidelines on it (4 times a day of the stuff he was feeding him plus times he was being fed at and he also gave me enough complete dry food for a few days anyway, which I soaked for the 1st week) and worming schedule etc.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
Food
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 05:04:58 PM »
We are currently feeding our pup 4 times a day ages 8 weeks old. She'd eat more if we let her...she is always ready for her food.