Author Topic: playing games  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Michelle_S

• Site Member
playing games
« on: October 09, 2003, 10:12:51 PM »
I have been trying to show Harry how to 'fetch' a ball :)
He absolutely loves this game ;D ;D, BUT he only gets the 'fetch'part and never brings the ball back ??? ??? Just runs off with it and has a lovely chew ::)

Any tips on how to get him to come back and drop the ball would be gratefully received, or am I expecting too much at 18 weeks? :-                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
playing games
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 10:34:09 PM »
hmm I still have that issue with Millie at nearly 1 year!! and cockers are supposed to be retrieval dogs! LOL

She will come back probably 7 times out of 10 - when I was trying to get her doing it outside I would give her the occasional titbit when she brought it back - and I would say over and over "Millie Millie fetch", "Millie Millie fetch","Millie Millie fetch"  in a really friendly happy voice - and she would just come back to me with the frizbee because of the noise I was making LOL  ;D, then I would praise her and say "thankyou" (to make her let go- easier said than done!) and throw it again.
I didn't give her a treat everytime, just sometimes, then throw it again
Now when we play if she doesn't bring it back I walk away from her and then she chases after me with the frizbee so I can take it off her and throw it again  ;D

LOL - reading that back I sound mad .. which is probably true, my neighbours starting giving me a wide berth  ;D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline T

• Site Member
playing games
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 11:02:27 PM »
It's cos ya are mad gal ... just take a look at those BIG PANTS!!  ;D
he he!!

Yeah we do the same with Charlie-Spud and his ball. We actually started with short 5 min training sessions in the house up & down the hall, with a "sit" then a "readyyyy-steaddyyyyy-GO" and then lots of frantic, encouraging "Charlie Charlie Charlie" to get him to come back, to a "drop" and a number of very small different treats so it seemed he was getting lots! We then reduced the treats to only on random go's and now he can go a whole game without treats but he gets a big treat at the end.  

AND then we do this outside and it's great he runs and gets the ball and then runs back right past us as fast as he can!! Cool!!!! NOT!                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!